Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mr. Cystic Fibrosis Told Me Not To Run

6:00am: I was definitely a lot more tired this morning than I have been the last couple of mornings. I slept well, but I got to bed a little later than normal. I think I stayed in bed a good 10 minutes past when my alarm went off. But when I finally got moving I was feeling pretty good. Only exception being my inner thighs. I blasted them a couple of days ago and now I'm paying for it. It feels like someone inserted two metal rods from the inside of my knee, running up the inside of my leg and then connecting to my hip flexors. And yes, they hurt to the touch. At least I know that something I am doing is working though!

When I got to the gym, I saw that the stair stepper was open so I jumped on it right away. I didn't get to it yesterday cause they were being used while I was there. I decided to do 20 minutes on it instead of 15 to make up for a little lost time. Starting on it was difficult because my legs were so tight, but they eventually loosened up thank goodness. I worked up a good sweat as usual and then it was on to the treadmill. And that's when I hit a wall.

When I started on the treadmill, I set it to an incline and began walking at a decent pace. I decided that I would walk for 4 minutes and then run for 6 minutes. Sounds good right? Well in my mind it did. When I actually started running, it was a different story. Let me run down the list of the things that went through my mind as I started running: My legs hurt. I can't breath. You're coughing too much. I think I'm going to throw up. You did a good job yesterday, don't push it. My foot is sore. There is no way you can make it 6 minutes today. Slow down, it will feel better. I think my heart just stopped. Ow! Sweat got in my eye, I should probably stop. Shoot, what happened to my music? I can't run without music. Why don't you just stop to get the music playing again? Maybe it will feel better to run later on today.

See what happened? There wasn't a single part of me that wanted to run this morning. And guess what, that happens more times than my body actually WANTING to run. So what did I do? Well, if you read this blog at all, you know exactly what I did: I RAN. See, all those thoughts that ran through my mind, I know who is putting them there, it's my old friend Mr. Cystic Fibrosis. He doesn't want me to run. The more I run, the less he is who he is. The more I run, the less influence he has in my life. The more I run, the less important he feels. We all know Mr. Cystic Fibrosis loves to have a say in what we do and think, but I'm sick and tired of that. When he starts putting doubts in my mind, that just fuels me to push even harder. So thanks for the motivation Mr. Cystic Fibrosis! Keep it coming!!!!!

Total Distance: .7 miles Total Floors Climbed: 53 floors

1:30pm: Headed to the gym for arms after I took a quick little cat nap on my bed. Don't get me wrong, I didn't sleep, but I allowed myself to lay on my bed and listen to two full Damien Rice songs. Ahhhhh, it was very relaxing. It also gave my back a good rest from sitting up in a chair all morning. Arms went as planned and I was definitely stronger today than I was the last time that I lifted my arms. I'm starting to notice more and more veins on my arms when I'm lifting. I'm hoping that means they will be nice and primed for a PICC lines next time I go in. There is usually not a problem with placing them, but I have run into a few snags here and there. Most of it is due to scar tissue, which can happen after 30+ PICCs!

6:00pm: Mandi and I took J Bell for her walk as it started to cool down again. We just did a short one miler for a couple reasons: The inside of my thighs are killing me; I want to take it easy on my foot; and we were short on time. We were taking off for my cousin's house tonight to watch the season finale of LOST. Which, by the way, I just got done watching. If you watch the show, would you like to fill me in on who, what, and where all of it represents? I'd love to hear your theories. Anyway, time for bed. I'm thinking about sleeping in tomorrow since it has been such at late night. I guess I'll have to see how I feel in the morning.

Total Distance: 1.0 mile

Total Distance Walked for Day: 1.7 miles Total Floors Climbed: 53 floors

1 people had something to say...:

Natalia Ritchie said...

30+ picc lines, my god man!! Why no PORT? I have had mine for 6 years and it's amazing. I can access myself, shower, swim, and you can baraly see it on my chest. You get it in once, and then that's it. To access it's a tiny prick, and deaccess you don't feel a thing. And, arms free!!