Monday, February 8, 2010

Confessions from a Football Dummy: Superbowl Edition

Welp I said it. I'm a football idiot. I get the basics...you know, 4 quarters, touchdowns, field goals, I even know 4 downs. I get the basic rules. But when it comes to team names, strategy, players and the like, I'm LOST. Ronnie on the other hand is a football wiz kid. He knows current players, past players, records, strategy, EVERYTHING. (For those of you who don't know, Ronnie coached football for 7 years and played through high school...which by the way, he'll never tell you this, but he's in the high school football hall of fame. I found that out only recently, but it's a fun fact that I thought I would share with you!!) Anyways, I tell you all of this, to explain the incredible divide between my football watching and his. Every weekend we watch football, both college and pro, and I generally sit, uninterested and unhappy that we're "wasting a day" with games. Buuuuut the Superbowl provides us both with entertainment. He watches the game, and enjoys the commercials, I JUST watch the commercials and half time show.

I must say, I was underwhelmed by the ads this year. In fact, I was trying to think of my favorite, and I had a tough time even remembering the ads that were on. I did notice that Doritos and Bud Light were all over advertising this year. I wonder if they even have an advertising budget left, and it's only February.

I loved Carrie Underwood's National Anthem at the beginning. But I'm pretty sure it could have been terrible and I would have loved it. I just love Carrie Underwood. She is so adorable and man can she sing.

As for the half time show - who decided that The Who would be the half time show? That's all I have to say about that. My favorite half time show was still years ago when Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears performed together. I think that was like 5 years ago though, so I'm not sure who's been organizing these half time shows lately, but I'd really like them to step up their artist selections!!

ANNNND there you have it. Those are my takeaways from the Superbowl this year. What were yours? Did you have a favorite ad? Please refresh my memory and tell me a few. Did your team win? Lose? What'd you think of the half time show? And lastly, who can tell me how they get the computer generated yellow line on the field to not show up on the players?