Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wash Sprints

This past week has been pretty terrible for weather here in "sunny" Arizona. It seems like every time I get ready for a run, the skies open up and it starts to pour. I have to admit, it's really throwing me off of my game. I still start each morning out with a walk however by bundling up, throwing my hoodie on and just "toughing" it out. It's actually pretty peaceful to walk in the rain. I can tell you that I enjoy it far more than Jezzabel does. She still acts like she's going to melt every time she even thinks about rain. Anyway, getting that morning walk in for me is crucial. If I don't get that walk in, the "ick" feeling in my lungs will usually stay with me throughout the day.

Although the afternoon runs haven't been going as planned, Mandi and I have discovered another way to exercise. The wash behind her parent's house. Now, for those of you not from the desert. A wash is basically a river bed that rarely sees a drop of water and most of the time is "over grown" with some vegetation and random cacti. Lucky for us, her parent's house backs directly up to one. This has proven to be a great way to get in a quick workout and something the JBell thoroughly enjoys. See, Jezzy isn't the most disciplined walkee in the world and often tugs on her leash. The beauty of the wash, we're the only ones down there and she is leash free. I can't begin to tell you how much she loves it. It's nice for Mandi and I also as we can focus more on each other than constantly yanking back J Beezy.

We started a new game with Jezzabel that has proven to be quite the workout. While Jezzy is busy sniffing around and not paying attention, Mandi and I sneak off. Then just as we're getting out of eye site from her, we call her name and sprint the other direction. We run until J catches us. I'm not sure how many wind sprints we did today, but I know it was a lot and I was FOR SURE winded! We also managed to play a game of hide and seek which Jezzabel proved to be way too good at.

Point is, something is better than nothing. The weather doesn't always cooperate with what we want to get done and 5 minutes of sprints are better than sitting on the couch watching Judge Judy (although I did that also). Hopefully the weather holds up tomorrow, I push through this head cold I'm experiencing and maybe, just maybe I'll actually be able to run after putting on my shoes!