Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Treatment Time Support

I feel so blessed that parents and patients in the community actually think enough about my opinion that they continue to send questions my way. Some questions that I get are pretty common, but I've got to say, I've never had this one before. It's kind of surprising though because this is actually a GREAT question!! I want to hear from you guys though, what do you think??


I just have a quick question for you. When you were growing up, did your Mom spend time with you each time you did your treatments? I am feeling a TREMENDOUS amount of guilt since I am not able to spend time doing something with ____ when he does his treatments lately, especially the 5 nebs a day he's now having to do. He seems totally content playing his video games when he does his nebs and vest and said it doesn't bother him that I'm not hanging out with him. But I can't help but feel guilty. I don't want him to think he's dealing with this all by himself. Life just has been so flippin' busy lately, and my daughter has been a bit more needy too, which makes it that much harder. I guess I was just wondering if you would ever get mad at your mom and disappointed with her if she didn't have the time to sit with you during treatments. Any input or suggestions you could give me would be very much appreciated! 
Thanks for letting me vent. I couldn't think of a better person to ask this question to since you seem to credit your mom a ton for your compliance and good health as an adult! I just want _____ to feel that same way towards me when he's an adult, and I don't want to let him down. Thanks again, Ronnie! Hope you and your family are doing well and enjoying summer!
 __




We have to keep in mind that treatment time as I was growing was completely different. Until I was 14, I had one neb (albuterol) and I was hand pounded by my mom or step-dad as I didn't have a vest until the age of 20. So, our situations were very different. My mom and I certainly bonded during treatment time, but that's because she was beating me and we had no choice but to connect during that time 

When it comes to you and Tuck, I'd take him at his word. I know when I was playing my video games, the last thing I wanted was for my mom to bother me. There are certainly ways you can show him you're thinking about him during that time without being within arms length. From time to time maybe you make him his favorite snack and bring it to him? Maybe you surprise him with a trip to the ice cream shop after his treatment because "it means a lot to you when he takes such good care of himself"?

I would focus more on what you say and what you do for him outside of treatment time. Love up on him. Let him know how special he is. Be sure to tell him how much you appreciate his hard work. Be there to facilitate the great life that happens after treatment time. Most of all, let him know that he is taking care of himself for all of you, so you can enjoy time as one big happy family!

I think it's great that he is showing some autonomy already with his treatments. I'd stay out of the way and do what you can to positively reinforce that behavior.