Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday: Best Things About Hospital Stays

It's no secret that Ronnie and I have always embraced hospital stays. They look different now that we have Mckenna, but we are still thankful for them and still have a lot we love about them! (List compiled by both of us)

10. Absence makes the heart fonder - While it totally stinks to not have Ronnie around, it does make me appreciate him and how much he does around the house, for me, and for Mckenna. So in that regard, it is a nice reminder of how much I love and appreciate him!!

9. Adventures - Mckenna and I have started using hospital stays to enjoy time together on adventures around town. We have hit up several fun kid spots around town and I think we both dig it.

8. Family time - Since my mom, step-dad and brother live down here in Tucson, I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like to. When I'm in the hospital though, I'm only about 15 minutes away from them and see them more than they'd probably like to :)

7. Family time part II - Even though my in-laws (Papi and Nana) are only about 45 minutes away from our house, we don't see them as much as we'd like to (if you can't tell, I'm a big family time kind of a guy). When I'm here in the Hole, Mandi and Mckenna "move in" with Papi and Nana which makes me feel a whole lot better about my time away. I know Mandi loves being around her parents and I'd bet that Mckenna loves it even more.

6. Home cooked meals - I often get home cooked meals courtesy of my wife when I'm at home, but there is always something to be said for my mom's classics. When I'm here in the Hole, someone brings me dinner almost every night and it's usually something made by my mom. Some of the meals brings me back to my childhood, which for me, is a good thing :)

5. FaceTime time - It's not often that Mandi and I have any reason to FaceTime when I'm at home, but we have all of the reasons in the world to FaceTime when I'm not. I absolutely love to chat with Mckenna on FaceTime because she always does something to make me smile. From holding the phone super carefully as to not hang up or giving me 102 kissies during the course of the call, I'm usually smiling ear-to-ear.

4. Rest - I feel selfish saying this, since I know Mandi experiences the opposite, but it is nice to experience unencumbered rest while I'm here in the hospital. I don't feel guilty to just lay in my bed or sit in a chair and not do anything. I tell myself that it's an important part of the tune-up process, and whether that's true or not, I take full advantage of it.

3. A chance to reset - Ronnie had been "off" for a few weeks before going in. I am so thankful he has a place he can go, to get better, and "reset". He always comes back the man I know and love and full of energy!

2. Hospital traditions - While Ronnie and I can't do all our hospital traditions as much now that I don't stay down there with him, we still get the chance to do some (Dunkin Donuts breakfast, listen to radio podcasts, etc) when I go down to visit. It's really nice to sneak in a few of them here and there.

1. Leaving - Even though it's a place we don't hate, nothing feels better then leaving the Hole!!