Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Update from the Hole

Thought an update was in order after 18 days in the Hole...

This stretch has been a little longer than my recent stretches, but I also came in sicker than I've been for a while. Not only "CF sick" in terms of increased cough, sputum production, etc, but also "sick sick" with a fever, sore throat etc. My PFTs followed suit and I blew some of the lower numbers I've had for quite some time. It wasn't even with a second thought that the team knew I needed to be in here.

My first week in here was very similar to most of my first weeks in here. When these antibiotics first hit my body, it feels like I'm literally being hit. Sore joints, sore muscles, aches and pains are very common my first week here. It's become par for the course as I get older and something that I'm mentally prepared for.

After 10 days in the Hole I did another set of PFTs. I came in blowing a 57% and after 10 days of treatment, I blew a 60%. I had to quickly get in the right frame of mind after blowing that number. More so, I wasn't feeling all that much better. After the initial disappointment that lasted about 10 seconds, I thought back to other times in here that my numbers actually went down in the first week. The times that staying in here 30 days was coming place. I did a quick perspective exercise and was feeling good about it all at the end of the day.

In this third week, I'm happy to say that I'm still trending upward. I'm not up to my magical "baseline number", but more importantly, I'm not back to me yet...but, I'm getting there. I blew again yesterday and blew a 66%. For me, nothing to brag about, but also an encouraging step forward to getting out of here. I'm starting to clear out some of the old stuff that's been hiding out deep inside my lungs and it feels like I can take deeper and deeper breaths each day. I'm hopeful that I am truly in the homestretch.

My workouts have been getting better as well. I make sure that I'm taking a brisk walk daily and I have even managed to get some runs and stair work in while I've been here. On Sunday, I was able to run for 30 minutes straight around the hospital. It wasn't easy, but it felt great after I was done.

Anyway, just a quick update for those of you who were curious. I thank you for all of your prayers, notes and support. I'll be out of here soon.