Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Discharging of a PICC Line

So I'm finally back home and getting adjusted to the "real world". I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your well wishes and prayers while I was in the hospital. I can't even begin to count all of the emails and comments I received while getting my tune-up. I felt them more than you'll ever know and my only hope is that I can give back to you what you guys have given to me. This blog is meant to be a place to get educated, inspired and up lifted and I hope that is what you are taking from it. I certainly felt all of that coming from you guys and I can't thank you enough. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I was able to get to the gym but had to take it slower than normal as I know it will be a little bit before I get into the swing of things. I'm also going to adjust the frequency of my workouts as well. I'm going to start next week by putting more of an emphasis on cardio and running. I got sidetracked for a couple of months because of my foot, but now I'm ready to go full steam ahead. Mandi has set some pretty lofty goals for us by October and I fully plan on meeting them. You'll also be seeing some changes to the blog in the coming week in terms of structure and content. As always, I enjoy your feedback and am doing this blog for you, so I need to know what you guys like.

Anyway, here's the last of the in hospital videos. WARNING: If you have a weak stomach do not watch this video. If you want to see something pretty fascinating then I suggest you watch it. I'm still amazed that a long "spaghetti noodle" can dangle in my heart and not present a problem. I now present to you, "The Discharging of a PICC Line":

11 people had something to say...:

Jason Addink said...

Here I was expecting something gross. There was hardly any blood!

Lauren said...

I started to watch it but it made me queezy ahaha I can handle needles but I've NEVER watched anything to do with my picc line, I couldn't even tell you how they put it in I always look the other way!

OceanDesert said...

Interesting... I have never ever in all my dozens of piccs (done in several hospitals) seen one 'stitched' to the site!! Mine is always taped...

Second, I can pretty much watch anything done on anybody, but I ALWAYS turn my head when anything is inserted or removed from me... SO thanks for posting! ha!

Third, I had that same reaction when the chest tubes were pulled after my tx... I COULD NOT believe all that tubing was stuffed up in my chest cavity/lungs!!! CRAZY!

And yes, hiking/running, whatev sounds great as soon as it cools down! Right now all my working out consists at the gym or in my pool.. just got new goggles.. yay!

Jojo mc padden said...

Hi Ronnie,Been keeping track of your blog, Nice work, Im waiting to get admitted for iv's at the moment,Will be having a picc line,never actually watched a video of how its done..I cant believe i have had that done to me a few times without passing out!! :) Anyway hope your feeling good.

Kevin said...

Hey Ronnie,
Cool video. Doing more cardio, I can definitely see your pft's going up more. Just curious, do you have your own portable spirometer so you can check your pft's at home? Always rootin' for ya! -Kevin

Unknown said...

Hey Kevin- I don't have a portable spirometer, wanna get me more info on one that you would recommend? I've thought about getting one before but just worry about getting obsessive about it!

Ronnie

Denise said...

Thanks for the warning about the video!

I'm glad you're home and can't believe you're back to the gym already. Take it easy!!

Karla said...

Hi Ronnie,,,,
Thanks for the video..Makailyn was screaming her head off the last time she had her PICC Line removed,,but I'm pretty sure it was because it was so infected....Her arm was so red and swollen,all the way down to her fingers she couldn't bend her fingers and red up to her shoulder...They tried another one in her other arm and it did the same thing..They said they would have to use other things on her,,no more PICC Lines...

Your voice sounded better.I don't know if that was because you had on the mask or not...

Are you going to get your Lung Functions done before you leave?????

A million prayers coming your way,,,Karla

Unknown said...

I can't believe I just watched that while eating breakfast. Amazing.

Beth said...

haha it still creeps me out everytime I watch a picc line come out, including my own!

Natalia Ritchie said...

Yay!! Home at last...enjoy!!