Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Small comments like this...

...mean the world to me. Let me start by saying I appreciate ALL comments that I get here, on my facebook or on my CysticLife profile, but this one in particular really made my day today.

Thank you for your encouragement Ronnie. I have been running about a month now. I am up to a little over a mile ever day (not so bad considering where I started!)____I have to tell you that my FEV1 was sitting at 60% in August (and has been somewhere in the range of 60%-65% for the past year or so). This past week I blew a whopping 78%!!!! I have changed nothing in my routine except running...running until my lungs burn and I am hacking for air! I have to say, as much as I hate running...I have a feeling it will change my life for the better!____Thanks Ronnie!

For me, this is what it's all about. I started this blog to simply have a place to hold myself accountable on my journey back to good health. To be honest, when I saw that people were coming to this site daily, I wondered why in the heck they were doing so. Eventually, it morphed into what you read today- that being a blog in which I share my life, my triumphs, my failures and my CF story. As the months pass by, I see more and more peeps from the community commenting about starting an exercise or running program, from moms/dads to CFers.

This has now become my biggest motivating factor in doing this blog. I want to see people grab the bull by the horns and just do it. Take that leap of faith that changing something up in your life and really taking this thing head on is worth it. Lacing up your shoes for the first time in years. Feeling that same high as I felt when I ran my first mile. Feeling a sense of accomplishment and pride.

I can't tell you how much it means to me when I read these types of stories on other's blogs or a comment referring to such an accomplishment is left on mine. I know that I come off as a little harsh to some people, or some have accused me as being "too happy", but I only do it from a place of strong belief. I believe 100 percent in the resolve of the human spirit. I believe 100 percent that we all have it in us to set our mind to something and get it done. As a friend in this community once said, "It may be harder, it may feel worse and it may take longer- but we can get in shape just like everybody else".

I truly believe that CF will never get in our way. The only thing in our way most of the time is us.