Monday, January 3, 2011

Time to Get "Un-comfortable"

Resolution (n): 1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination. 2. A resolving to do something. 3. A course of action determined or decided on.

I have to be honest, I kind of despise new year resolutions. I don't dislike the concept, I dislike what they have become. They have become something that people feel obligated to set. People generally hold to them for all of 48 hours (see comic on left for applicable joke), and then they fall back into the comfort, ease, and familiarity of their previous routine. However, if you look at the very definition of the word "resolution", it isn't a flash in the skillet behavior. A resolution is a course of action. It is a course. Not a detour. Once you set course, you stick to that course. What kind of course is it? It's a course of firm determination. Determination makes you stead-fast. Determination is a decided outcome. A new years resolution is to be set if you're planning to change paths and stick to that new path.

Ronnie and I have decided this year, to make a new years resolution. Our resolution is to make ourselves un-comfortable. "Excuse me?" You're thinking. Yeah, my thoughts exactly...at first. Why would I want to be un-comfortable? I'm hyphenating it...in an attempt to show that we don't so much want to be "uncomfortable", we just want to undo the comfortableness we are slipping into. You stay stagnant when you're comfortable, and therefore, we must make ourselves un-comfortable to grow.

So this year we're working to push our limits of comfort, in order to grow; improve. First, we are going to make ourselves un-comfortable with our workout schedule. We have gotten comfortable with just running 3-5 times a week. But running 3-5 times a week isn't doing much for my muscle mass (ok, it's doing a little, but I'm not happy with a little), and it's not doing enough for Ronnie's PFTs. Sure it's keeping them where they are and maybe giving him a few percentage points, but who's satisfied with just a few percentage points? Not us. If you don't know where the ceiling is, why stop with a few percentage points? We are going to get back into the gym 3-4 times a week, get cardio in 3-4 times a week, a start each day with an even longer walk. We've worked hard all of 2010 to get into shape, but now it's time to get into BETTER shape.

Second, we're shaping up our diets. Currently, candy sits in my food pyramid where carbs should be, and I'm pretty sure that's not a great thing (granted, I'm not a certified nutritionist, but I'm going with my gut...literally...on this one). We are going to spend more time, energy, and possibly money to eat more well-balanced meals. The goal of this is not so much weight loss, but overall health. Part of this is because we need better fuel if we're going to be working out more, and part of this is I want my body to have the proper nutrients while trying to get preggers, and (fingers crossed) while carrying a bun in the oven.

Third, we're going to work to make ourselves un-comfortable in our marriage. We going to work on keeping ourselves from getting comfortable. We want to enter each day with an appreciation for the love we have; instead of putting our feet on the floor first thing in the morning taking each other for granted. We want to continue to shower each other with love, adoration, and praise. We want to continue to put the other one first, like you do when you're first dating ("where do you want to go for dinner" "I don't care, where do you want to go" "No, you pick" "No, you pick"....you remember those days right?!) My goal is to be so on top of my game that Ronnie is forced to be un-comfortable; and I know that's Ronnie's goal as well.

So, what resolutions have you set? In what ways are you going to make yourself un-comfortable this year? I'm fired up for 2011...it's going to be even better than 2010, and 2010 was a GREAT year!