Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rondi's Recipes: Irish Corned Beef Stew

In honor of St. Patty's day a little while back, Mandi and I decided to make some Irish Stew. We didn't follow the recipe to a tee, but we were close enough not to call it our own creation :) If you want to see the original recipe, please click here.


Corned Beef


Potatoes, Carrots and Parsnip...oh my!


Guinness beer...pretty sure we have 5 bottles left.


Chopped Onions


Looks better than I remember


Enjoy...with enzymes on the side of course!

Prep Time: About 20 minutes (with two people)
Cook Time: About 3 hours
Total Time: About 3 hours and 30 minutes

What we liked:

I really like soups/stews that are chunky. This stew definitely fit the bill.
I'm a fan of any hot soup/stew during a cold night.
I thought it was really easy to make.
Cleanup was easy. One cutting board. One pot. One knife.

This meal was very hearty! I tend to love chunky soups more than your average bear.
It was a little chilly out and I don't think it can get much better as far as a "comfort" stew goes.
Meat and potatoes. I could probably eat that everyday of the week. Winning.
The prep was very easy and once it started to cook, really didn't have to do much.
We also added cabbage to the stew, another thing that I could eat everyday (stewed).
I love corned beef.


What we'd change:


I thought it could be more flavorful. I don't know what I'd change, but I'd add something next time.
Speaking of flavor, it might be better if we seasoned the meat or even let it soak in a marinade.
The pieces of cabbage were a little big for my liking. Next time they need to be smaller.
I want to try this out in the slow cooker.

I had to add quite a bit of salt to this meal to maximize the flavor.
The meat chunks were actually a little too big.
I'd probably want to add another vegetable or two.
I'd also like to try a similar recipe in the slow cooker.

Here's our overall rating (with 1 being the worst meal we've ever had and 10 being the best):


Mandi's Rating: 7

Ronnie's Rating: 6.0


Again, if you guys have any suggestions on how this is laid out or what you guys would like to see answered/done differently, please let us know :)