Friday, June 10, 2011

Challenge from Chronic Admissions!

Nancy over at Chronic Admissions posted an awesome blog with a mind blowing stat and great challenge that I wanted to share.

Make sure to stop by her blog and tell her whether or not your up for the challenge:

It's Friday! and it's 76 and sunny. It's the perfect day to open all of the windows and let in the fresh spring air... especially after all of the humidity we've been having here in the Northeast. Even better would be to make this day an outdoor day. Take the kids outside for a nice game of tag or wiffleball or for a long bike ride. Not only will it bring you closer as a family (and tucker those kids right out), but it can save your life.

The American College of Cardiology released the results of a study finding that sitting for 6 hours or more a day is as deadly as smoking. Yup, smoking! So for all of you sitting at your desk reading this, GET UP. Women are 37% more likely to die sooner compared to those who sit for 3 hours or less a day. Men have a 17% greater risk of early death. You may think that this is completely out of your power if you have to work. But if you take breaks to stretch or if you do some of your work while walking on a treadmill, you will be making improvements. Sitting too much can cause heart disease, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and early death.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to avoid each of those things. I already have a few issues with my heart, but like my cardiologist said, one of my problems disappeared when I was picking up the pace on the treadmill. So, I ask you again - especially you CF parents or those of you with CF - join me on my new mission to improve my lungs, my heart and my overall health. I'm doing it for me and my girls. What about you?