Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Workouts Get BORING


Let's face it, if you get to the gym with any kind of regularity, the workouts you do quickly become rather monotonous. I know for me, it usually at about the 6 week mark of doing the same workout routine that I'm ready for a new one. In fact, just the other day, I overheard a "TV trainer" say it's wise to switch up your routine every 6 sessions or so to avoid muscle memory and/or just going through the motions. And with all of the new workout crazes that stress "muscle confusion" and a host of varying movements. I'd say that it is pretty sound strategy.

With this in mind, I've recently ventured into something new at our gym (with a little coaxing from Mandi of course). The past couple of weeks, we've been giving group classes a shot. 

Leading up to this point, I was never really interested in the group class setting. Here were my reasons:

1. The classes are generally full of women, and consequently
2. All of the men in the gym are lifting weights
3. Seemed to be pretty cheesy
4. Intimated by the constant movement
5. Figured my two left feet wouldn't be great for all of the different steps
6. Did I mention that classes are for women?

So as you see, it's not as if I had some slam-dunk reason as to why I never gave the classes a shot. I did however need a little bit of a push by Mandi to actually give them a chance.

I'm glad she pushed.

We started with a class called Body Pump which is essentially a full-body workout using barbells and hand weights. It's set to various music tracks and focuses mostly on form as well as varying repetitions, positions and movements. It all feels pretty good, except for the leg portion of the class. It's crazy how weak my legs have gotten. Half way through the class I couldn't have the slightest bend in my knee without my legs shaking. I felt Body Pump for a good 3 to 4 days after my initial class. If you saw me, you would have thought that I rode in on a horse.

Yesterday, we gave Body Combat a shot. This is a high energy class that has you throwing jabs, uppercuts, hooks and various kicks for about an hour straight. I couldn't believe how much I was sweating just after the "warm-up" had taken place. I was coughing up storm and may need to look into a mucus bucket to bring with me next time. :)

Anyway, what's the point of this blog? Well, if you find yourself "going through the motions" with your exercise routine, switch it up. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself. Don't be too uncomfortable with change. Get out there and try something that you've never done before. Whatever you decide to do, give it a fair shot and don't second guess yourself. Just go for it!!

I'll be the very first to admit that I was skeptical about changing up our lifting routine. I'm just so very thankful I did...even if I did "kick and scream" a bit on my way to the first class.