Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Honey Banana Oat Bars

I've been trying to eat healthier lately. This has meant trying to stay away from processed foods as much as possible as well as white sugar, white flour, etc. I've been doing really well so far, although this new lifestyle does conflict a bit with my sweet tooth. See, I love having a little sweet snack with a cup of coffee after dinner. I've been searching the internet looking for "clean" dessert or snack recipes I could try, and fortunately have stumbled upon quite a few. 

This recipe is based on one that I found on Godairyfree.org. If you'd like to see the original recipe, click here. We made some modifications to ours.
Perfect with a cup of coffee.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup of rolled oats
1/4 cup of brown rice flour 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup of honey plus 2 tbs for top glaze
2 tbs of grape seed oil
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 egg
2 medium bananas 

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oats, 1/4 cup honey, oil, and vanilla. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Briefly set aside.
4. Returning to your medium mixing bowl, stir in the egg, and banana, until everything is well combined. 
5. The batter will be a little thick. Spread it evenly in your greased baking dish, and pop it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely before cutting. I cut them in 16 1 inch by inch bites.
7. Spread 2 tbs of honey evenly on top.

Nutritional info per bite:

Servings: 16
Calories: 97
Fat: 2.8g
Carbohydrates: 13.5g
Protein: 2.2g

Let me know if you give this recipe a go and how you like them! One more tip - I warm them up in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before I eat them :)