Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Turning Back the Clock

Great question from a reader:


I have a few questions for you, I remember reading on your blog about how you raised your PFTs. I was recently told I can't raise mine and nothing motivates me more than someone saying I can't. I obviously went through the stage every CF patients goes through and stops or halfway does their medicine and treatments and stops working out. So my question is what all did you do to raise yours? What kind of exercise? And did you eat differently?


I was told in 2009 that I should get comfortable with blowing a 50%. As with you, that motivated the heck out of me. It took two years of crazy hard work and dedication, but I was able to blow a 73%. Since then, I've remained steady and haven't had too many drastic dips. I've even been able to inch them up a little more.
For two years, this was my schedule -
Albuterol/Atrovent 4 times daily
Pulmozyme 2 times daily
7% 2 times daily
Inhaled antibiotic 2-3 times daily
Vest 4 times daily for AT LEAST 30 minutes at a time
Ran for 20 to 45 minutes 5 days a week
Took daily walks and bike rides
Lifted weights 3 to 4 times a week
I didn't really eat all that differently.
As you see though, it was a big commitment and obviously one that has paid off for me. When I blew that 73% in 2011, it was my highest number since 2003. So you can't tell me that we can't "turn back the clock"!!
Anyway, hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions