Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Question from Reader: Air Travel for Little One with CF


I thought I would share in case others out there had similar questions and/or concerns.

Reader:
Hello Ronnie!  I hope all is well!  I was wondering if you could give me some advice / tips for traveling with cystic fibrosis.  I'm about to take my 6 year old daughter to Denver and had a few questions...

1. Do you have to check The Vest?  Or can it be a carry on because it's medical equipment?

2. Do meds have to fit in a quart zip lock bag in the carry on, or ar they exempt from that?

3. Should I have her wear a face mask on the plane?  Cold and flu season and  all.

Ronnie:
1. No, you do not have to check the Vest. It can be carried on and will not count as a carry-on since it is medical equipment.
2. I have never put my meds in a zip lock bag and always carry them on. Just remember that if your meds are on a carry-on that also has non-medical items (clothes, etc), it WILL count as a carry-on.
3. I've never worn a face mask on a plane, but it is certainly dependent on the comfort level of the individual (or their parents).
Hope this helps!! Don't hesitate to ask more questions

Reader:
Have you ever been to Denver or somewhere similar?  We live in Iowa, met you at the CF Family day a couple years ago , and she's never left the state.  Do you have any issues with the thinner air?  I know each case is different, just wondering. Thank you so much!!!

Ronnie:
I didn't have any issues with altitude or thinner air until much later on in life. And when I say issues, they were minimal at most. I would bet that any change she would feel, you would feel also.

If you have a question that you would like my input on, please never hesitate to email me at ronnie@cysticlife.org!