Monday, March 17, 2014

Mandi Monday: "Which One?"

Mckenna is still a talker. She talks ALL. THE. TIME. She comes by it honestly (whoops) as I talk a ton, my mom talks a ton, and my Grammy talks a ton. It's a blessing and a curse as a toddler (probably is also as an adult. Ha!) I love that she says all that she's feeling, so I know. I love getting into her brain. I don't so much love that she asks the same question 392938 times just to fill air time.  My favorite part about her talking these days, however, are the adorable things that come out of her mouth. Here are some recent highlights:

"I miss you" - Usually I can figure out the root of what she's saying, or what she thinks it means and therefore why she's using it how she's using it…but in the case of this phrase, I'm not so sure. She says it all the time. Sometimes she says it when we've been apart. But usually she says it when we've been together. She just randomly will say, "mommy, I miss you." I'm not sure if she thinks "I miss you" and "I love you" are interchangeable. Maybe she thinks "miss you" actually means the opposite of what it does. Regardless, I love hearing those three little words come out of her mouth.

"Thank" - This is Mckenna's version of "thanks". I've tried to emphasize the "s" to show her it's "thanks"but she doesn't so much care, and really, I don't care either. To hear a sweet little "thank" out of her mouth is cute.

"What time is it?" - She asks this when wondering when something is. "Today we have dance class." "What time is it dance class?" The funny thing is she wants to know an actual time…like "9 o'clock". She even repeats it back like she is confirming it. It cracks me up since she has no idea what time that actually is, how long 2 hours feels, etc. But it's just so cute as I try to explain all those things to her in question after question series of questions that follows the "what time is it?"

"Just a little teeny tiny…" - This is her bargaining method. When asking if she can use something, have something, etc she knows may not fly, she throws in that she wants "just a little teeny tiny" at the end of the request. She usually says it in an angelic voice while making the "small/little" sign with her fingers (you know holding your thumb and pointer finger close together), and adds this little cute shoulder raise she does when she's asking a question.

"Just like you" - Mckenna likes to do things like we do. She likes to use the cups we use, or eat the food we are eating, or partake in an activity that we are doing. This simple little phrase makes my heart so happy. I love nothing more than when she asks for something so she can be just like me. "I want wear my jeans, just like you…" It melts my heart. I remind myself, however, that she wants to be just like me…so I need to axe all the behaviors I don't want her emulating. "I want soda just like you"….umm no. "I want candy just like you"….errr not at 9AM.

"Which one?" - I have a love-hate relationship with this question. She asks it all the time. Most the time, it's not used correctly and I actually have NO idea what she's trying to ask, so I repeat back what I think she's meaning to say as the question, and then answer the question I made up. A conversation could go like this:
               Me: Oh look, a school bus!
               Mckenna: Which one?
               Me: What do you mean which one? The one right there.
               Mckenna: Which one?
               Me: Do you mean "where is it?"….It's over there (said while pointing)

But sometimes it can look like this:
               Me: Oh look, a school bus!
               Mckenna: Which one?
               Me: What do you mean which one? The one right there.
               Mckenna: Which one?
               Me: Do you mean "where is it?"….It's over there (said while pointing)
               Mckenna: Which one?
               Me: I don't know what you're asking. There's only one bus, so it's that bus. The bus right    there. The only bus you can see. Do you have another way of saying what you want to know?

It's semi-cute when she says it. But it also usually leads a really long guessing game that I only have patience for 60% of the time :)

I love hearing what's happening in that little brain in fragmented and limited words. I love when she misuses or mispronounces words. I love her little Minnie Mouse voice. I think these are some of the things I will miss most when she grows up.