Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Story To Make You Smile

If you ask Ronnie, or anyone else in my family, they'll tell you I read too many stories online. And they're probably right. I'm a sucker for all those shocking headlines that pop up on my Facebook newsfeed. Most of them get read in the middle of the night when I'm up feeding baby N or have been up for one of the kiddos and can't fall right back to sleep. I love the sad ones, the happy ones, and the shocking ones. But most of all, I love the ones that genuinely make my heart happy.

I saw a story tonight that made my heart truly happy. It's about a 91-year-old woman that started working at a top design firm. I'm not sure what made me the happiest. Maybe the fact that that sweet little old lady had the courage to apply for the job in the first place, or maybe that she gets there taking public transportation and using Costco ski poles she modified. It could be the fact that she works sitting on a couch. But mostly, I think it's the fact that they send a company-wide email announcing her arrival so everyone can greet her on her one day a week, to give her a hug. I also love the fact that they seem to really value her wisdom. I can only imagine the how valued it must make her feel as a person and how spry she must feel on Thursdays (her workday) regardless of how she feels other days of the week.

This is a great reminder of the value elderly people can have in our communities if we were to give them the opportunity to share what they know. It's also a great reminder that sometimes it's less about doing what makes sense, and more about what enhances the lives of people around us. Because I'd say everyone is winning in this story!

Check out the story HERE!