Thursday, March 12, 2009

Here We Go Again

6:00am: You have got to be kidding me, it's already 6 again? When I rolled (to put it accurately) out of bed this morning, every muscle in my body hurt. I was achy, tired, sore, and the last thing I wanted to do was get up. But then I said to myself, "These miles aren't going to walk themselves, get up clown". So I was up. I hobbled over to get my clothes and shoes while trying to block out the pain pulsing through my legs and feet. My elbow feels like somebody was hammering it with a blunt object all night and I still haven't digested the chicken fajitas from last night's dinner. Ok. Here I go. Jezzabel was there to greet me and apparently she already knows that we walk in the morning even though it's only been one other time this early ever in the history of her life. That was yesterday. So off we go down the street and within 50 yards I'm coughing my brains out. First the mucus was a pretty dark yellow but it got lighter as the coughs kept coming. About 250 yards into my walk I was doing my best to hold down last night's dinner. I came real close to letting it fly but I was able to keep it below the breaking point of the back of my throat. After a couple of dry heaves, the walk went a lot more smoothly and my lungs really started to open up. I can't say that this is the most fun thing that I have ever done, but if I can keep it up, I really think it's going to make a difference.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles


11:00am: Gym time! Not that I have some huge desire to go, but I know that I have to. I'll share something a little cheesy that I was thinking about at the gym today. I said to myself, "You have to work out like your life depends on it, literally". I know that sounds kinda corny, but it many ways it is very true. If I plan on living a long and productive life I can't just hang out and watch American Idol all day. Working out for me isn't about muscles and strength. It's more about giving my lungs a work out and doing some controlled breathing while lifting. There were times today that I thought I was going to fall asleep mid-set and the other times it was just pure pain. I pushed through it though and I'm really glad that I did. Today I worked on my shoulders (very weak due to past injuries), legs, and abs (if you can call them that. I just crunched my bloated belly). I was going to do arms, but Mandi and I are planning on hiking this weekend, so I want to give my trunks time to recover. Alright, time for some peanut butter and apples. Current Weight: 191 lbs.

2:00pm: I was running errands for a while today and I've got to say that I have a decent amount of energy. I'm actually looking forward to running later (although hobbling might be more accurate since my legs feel like one big charley horse). I also am looking forward to laying on the couch and watching American Idol too. So don't go thinking that I'm a runner just yet.

5:30pm: Mandi went for a 4 mile run while I did my treatments and awaited her arrival for our walk/run. We set out on the same course that J Bell got walked this morning. Mandi is a perfect run coach cause she pushes me, but not to the point that I think I'm going to die...although at times I think about it. She will pick out a spot to run to, we run there, and then I catch my breath. After the first running section (after an extended walking portion to loosen up my legs) I couldn't catch my breath for a good 5 minutes and I was concentrating on not losing my lunch (fajitas from last night). The food stayed down and luckily every running stretch got easier to the point that I would sprint (more goofing around than anything) for 15 yards or so. As I write this, there is definitely a good amount of lung pain all over, but I think it's because they are opening up for the first time in a while. At least that's the hope...

Total Distance: 2.1 miles

Total Distance Run/Walk: 4.2 miles