Monday, April 20, 2009

A Gentle Kick to the Ribs

6:00am: So I got to bed at a decent time last night and slept like a rock, yet when my alarm went off this morning I thought someone was playing a practical joke on me. I was SO tired. I don't know if it's because I need to work a nap into my schedule or what. I didn't have too crazy of a weekend I don't think, although it did involve a lot of sun and walking, so maybe that's it. By the way, it's really nice to be typing this at an actual desk this morning. Up until this point, I have been using a TV tray pulled up next to my bed. I got the desk off of and I would recommend that site to anybody that's looking to buy just about anything (if you don't mind it used).

I was coughing quite a bit of yellow crap up this morning and my lungs felt tight. I just made sure to force those coughs and get up as much of the garbage as possible. My first three coughs on the walk produced some thick yellow stuff but after that it cleared up. I've been meaning to ask a doctor why it always starts out yellow but then clears up shortly after I start my walk. If anybody out there has any clue, please, let me know. I kept up a good pace this morning, but my time would have been much better if J Bell didn't insist on 3 poops. She was also not the best walker this morning either. I had to remind her to focus on the walk a couple of times with a nice gentle reminder tap with my foot to her ribs. And again, don't alert PETA, it's literally a tap that wouldn't even break an egg.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 36'45"

1:00pm: I headed to the gym to do legs and shoulders. I was able to increase the weight or reps in almost every exercise. My shoulders felt better than normal and didn't have that usual sting that they have when I lift on them. My legs definitely increased in strength and all of the lifts felt much easier and more comfortable. Usually when I do squats I feel really unathletic and off balance, but today it went very smoothly. Current Weight: 188.5 lbs.

5:15pm: We set out on our walk with the sun still at what seemed full strength. I am of course exaggerating, but the point is that it was HOT out, and certainly hotter than it's been. Mandi said that it was in the upper 90's today. Really? Come on, it's still April. When it starts to get unbearable out the routine will definitely have to change up a bit. I'm not sure exactly what it will look like, but I certainly won't be walking or running while it's triple digits outside.

In the beginning of our walk I was coughing quite a bit and bringing up some good stuff. It was light yellow for only the first couple coughs and then turned clear. My lungs felt pretty good overall and I was able to carry on a conversation for almost the whole walk. I remember when this all started I couldn't converse at all and just had to communicate with grunts and moans. I'm sure Mandi appreciates hearing some actual words thrown back at her now and again. We were thinking about doing 4 miles, but my foot starting acting up and we didn't want to push it. I really want to run a .5 mile this week, so I need my foot to be in tip top shape. Let's hope it stops giving me trouble in the next couple of days.

Total Distance: 3.0 miles Time: 49'04"

Total Distance Walked for Day: 5.1 miles