Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dear Parents...

I saw this blog over on CysticLife and wanted to share it with all of you...

I can not imagine what went through your minds and hearts when your child was diagnosed with CF. I have always felt i should help parents by giving them some tips. I am not a parent with a child who has CF but i am a wife of someones child who has CF.

From the second I met my husband i knew he was special. We were in highschool and every once in a while he would miss school because he was sick. I never knew the severety of CF because it didn't define him. He was very smart, determined, had a rock band, was drum line captain and worked. It wasn't until we got serious that his disease ever came up. His parents have always had high expectations of him and his abilities and never allowed him to be a victim.

I know as a parent you may feel helpless at times and that there is nothing you can do. The best thing you can do for your child is treat them the same way you would if they didn't have a disease. I can not thank his parents enough for raising him this way and helping me to pick up and follow their lead. The reality is it sucks at times and you can get sad or pissed at the world, but then get over it. It won't change anything. There are some things you can't control, but your attitude towards them is 100% in your control.

I want you all to know you have the opportunity to raise a child who can inspire many and experience a full life. My husband has gotten to go to college, get married, have a successful career and now we are attempting to have children. I understand not all kids are as fortunate as my husband has been, but give them the tools and strength to have a chance. I hope to one day have my own children and I will teach them how to live their life and never feel like a victim.

Have hope in your childs future. My husband is 28 and we will celebrate 5 years of no hospitilization in February. There is no cure but there are great doctors and treatments. Giving your children strength and determination to deal with the life they were given is the best thing you can do for them.

Thank you Cheryl for writing such a powerful blog. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.