Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Germs at Work & The Best Compressor in the World!!

Had another great question thrown my way yesterday that I thought I would share as I'm sure that many of you have had similar thoughts or been in the same predicament.

I have a question for you...I totally respect your opinion and would love it if i could ask for it :) I have a little girl with CF I am looking at accepting a position in the ER...I will be going into rooms and registering them into the system. Do you think this would be putting her health at risk? I have posed this question to everyone at the hospital and they are of the opinion if I am taking the necessary precautions, I should be ok. The reason I am looking into this is because the hours work so that I can still stay home with her during the day. AAAAHHH....help???

I know CFers that work in the healthcare field and they've all been told the same thing as well - Do your best to protect yourself and use common sense. I wouldn't be too worried about it momma. Sounds like a great opportunity.

This was recently said on CL and it relates to your question...

"I work on a trauma floor and we have tons of sick people there. to avoid me bringing it home to my little cyster and fibro i avoid all contact with them right when i walk through the door and my shoes never see the inside of my house."

Could always do that if you'd like to be extra cautious.

Also, I worked for a couple of years in a homeless shelter and there was more sickness in that place than you could shake a stick at. My doctors gave me the same advice that I started with - Do your best to protect yourself and use common sense.

Hope that helps!!

******************

Also had another question from a momma concerning a compressor and my thoughts on the Mobilaire that I use. This is one of the most common questions I get, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this as well.

I saw on an old thread on CL that you use the Mobilaire 50 psi compressor. A few other friends either have it or are using it. So I am also polling them. What are your favs and not so favs about it? We will also have the VIOS or even the old Pro Neb Ultra for travel, but day to day is the Mobilaire worth the investment? Our clinic is supportive in writing the script since we have gone through so many PARI machines...

As far as a compressor...after I blew through 3 PARIs in 18 months, I decided that enough was enough. I went ahead and splurged on the Mobilaire and I haven't looked back since. It makes a WORLD of difference. The biggest thing the treatments take away from us is time. This compressor gives some of that time back. It literally cut my treatment time in half.

I travel with mine as well since I travel so often and it really affords me the opportunity to fill my travel days with stuff that I need to get done because I don't have to be at the hotel for hours on end doing treatments. It is a bit heavy to lug around, but for me it's worth it.

If you're looking for a compressor for day-to-day home use, honestly, this purchase is a no-brainer!! I couldn't encourage you enough to get the Mobilaire.

Favs - It's fast, effective and durable
Not favs - Wish it were lighter and less bulky for travel, but that would probably cut down on the power it has.

*****************