Monday, June 10, 2013

"There's a NOW in the pain"


Have you ever heard a sermon at church that really strikes you? That really speaks to you? That is presented in a way you've never heard before? Or maybe it's just the Holy Spirit allowing you to hear it differently?

I heard a sermon yesterday at church that really spoke to me. It applied to our whole IVF situation (still an ongoing saga since November). It really got my wheels spinning. It was about pain and worry. It was about God using our pain NOW, not one day from now, for our good. And that we needed to not be anxious, but pray, and we will receive His peace.

Cool side note: I sat listening and really wanted to write a blog about it. I woke up this morning, sat to write my blog. And couldn't for the life of me remember the scriptures the pastor used, so I thought, "oh well, I can just write about something else." Before I got started I opened my email to do my devotion for the day. The subject line? "Result of Worry" It was a perfect follow-up to yesterday's sermon. The related readings suggested? Philippians 4:6-7Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Which is actually one of the exact verses the pastor used yesterday. Sometimes God is so cool in the way He works…Needless to say, I am able to write this blog.

So the thing that really stayed with me from the sermon, however, was the pastor’s commentary on Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Many of us have heard this one…and use it often in our circumstances. I often read it when something isn’t going right. I always thought, “it’s ok, God will use this situation.” But what I failed to acknowledge and rejoice in what the pastor said this verse is actually saying. He said it’s not just saying that He will work all things together for our good in the future, but NOW. That when we are in a hard spot, in pain, in the midst of less than ideal circumstances, you name it, God is using that time. He is working in that time. He isn’t just giving you that situation to one day use it. He is working in that moment, that month, those years.

For some reason that brought me a lot of peace. I’m sure it’s in part because I’m an instant gratification kind of gal. I couldn’t help but think of our current struggles to get pregnant. I found myself feeling grateful for the last 7 months of struggle. I feel blessed to know that God is currently working during the last 7 months. I may not know how He’s currently working for our good, but that’s ok. It brought me a new level of patience in the process…which by new level, really means some patience at all, as I haven’t been very patient through the process at all. It made me thankful that I serve a God who is Good, and who loves me, and who is doing what’s best for me, even when I don’t know it.

I love sermons that cut right to your soul. And I know that many people struggle with their current circumstance, like I was with our IVF. So I thought I’d share this little tidbit that really spoke to me. It sure feels good to know that in pain and bad circumstances, God is currently working for my good! So I say, bring it on God!