Friday, September 26, 2014

"I Lived" Because of Christine

I was very impressed (that would be an understatement) when I saw the new One Republic music video "I Lived" for the first time. It may be the best awareness video that has ever been put out in the cystic fibrosis community. It is rare to find an awareness piece that does such a great job in striking the perfect balance between education and inspiration. 

"I Lived" by One Republic

The music video below features real-life CFer Bryan Warnecke talking about what CF is, how it's treated, what his expectations are, his fears, his blessings and everything in between. What I took note of however, which may ultimately be most important for CF patients and their families, may not be what others noticed. Before I get into that, please watch the video below:  


Be Who You Want To See

So what struck me most about that video? His parents. I wish I could give them a hug and a high-five and say "job well done". They put their son in the best position to live out the title of the song. That video was much more about life than it was about CF. And when our parents allow us to live, in spite of CF, we can often look back and credit their approach for our successes as CFers.

Did you see how they raised Bryan? And in return, Bryan's attitude toward a life with CF?
"It's just one of those things that really makes you appreciate life. Makes you appreciate where you are as a person." - BW
That would not be his attitude if he was raised to fear a life with CF. If he was made to think that life gave him the short-end of the stick.

I do not know them personally, but I guarantee they modeled that mentality through action and words.

Judging by the clips, the last thing on their mind was that CF was a life-altering or life-shortening disease. Judging by those clips, they parented their son Bryan, and not the disease cystic fibrosis.

A Life In Spite of CF

So what did living life in spite of CF look like to them?
  • Falling into a pit of foam, in a public play place (eeeeeeek!!!) at 1:17
  • Riding a bike and falling over without a parents fear that their son is somehow "more fragile" at 1:47
  • Riding in a tractor down a dusty road (oh no!!!!!!) at 1:56
  • Water skiing in a lake (please make it stop!!!!) at 2:07 and 2:11 (with mom cheering in the background)
  • Tumbling over in an electric ATV then being "put back on the saddle" and encouraged to try again at 2:19
  • Boogie boarding in the ocean at 2:26
  • Jumping head first into a pool, maybe public (ahhhhhh!!!), at 2:35
  • Snow skiing at a presumably high altitude at 2:58
  • Back to the dusty tractor ride at 3:00
  • Playing hockey, which I assume means he's in a public locker room with his team at some point (I can't take it anymore!!!), at 3:24 

A Life Ruled by CF

Now, I didn't randomly pick those scenes out of thin air. I picked them because they are all things my mom would have prevented me from doing 34 years ago. When I was diagnosed with CF, my mom forgot that she had a son and instead only remembered that I had a disease.

Does that make her a bad mother? Absolutely not! She did the only thing she instinctually knew how to do as a mom - protect me. Her protection came in the form of shielding me from the outside world in fear that I would become "more sick".

If she would have continued parenting me like that, there is no doubt that I'd be dead.

My Life Changed

By the grace of God, at the age of 5 or so, my very imperfect mom with the very imperfect kid made the most perfect decision, to let me live. In fact, it was this quote by my doctor that started it all...
"If you continue doing what you are doing, not only will Ronnie be somewhat physically disabled his entire life, but he'll become mentally disabled as well...and that's far worse"
That's when my life changed.

She no longer parented the disease, she just started to parent Ronnie, her rambunctious son.

Mind you, this was still tough sledding for my mom. Not allowing the disease to make every decision for her didn't feel natural. There were many times where her heart and her head didn't agree. She had to practice parenting me apart from the disease. It was a decision that she chose to make every single day. That doesn't mean it was easy.

The fear was still there. The agony still hovered over her at times. The doubt crept into her mind from time to time. You know what though? She never let me see that. She would cry herself to sleep almost every night, something I didn't know until about 6 years ago. I never saw that.

After she popped the bubble she formed around me, the only mom I remember was the mom that told me to live, and live well. The mom who sacrificed her afternoons and weekends by having me in sports year round. The mom who made my health our families number one priority, while still be a fantastic mother to my two younger brothers. The mom who would come home physically and mentally exhausted from work, yet made sure to hand pound my chest, back and sides for 45 minutes like she had done before leaving for work in the morning. The mom who took a job that she was overqualified for, and not all that interested in, because it had the best medical insurance in the state. The mom who made me believe that if I put my health first, I was capable of anything. The mom who talked about when I would go to college/get married/make her a grandma, and never "if". The mom who made cystic fibrosis feel like such a small part of our lives, even though most of her energy went to managing it. The mom who raised a boy who was proud of having CF, because she made it clear that she was proud of me - the boy with brown hair, buck teeth, a loud voice, fast feet, quick wit, and oh yeah, cystic fibrosis.

I'm asked all of the time, "where does your attitude come from?". That's easy. My mom.

My Mom, The Perfect Mirror

My mom made me into the man I am today by using CF, and it's inevitable challenges, as another tool in her tool belt. She had me convinced that CF helped mold me into the boy that was the "apple of her eye". She always talked about what a blessing CF was to our family. She was quick to point out the opportunities that came along because of cystic fibrosis. She often reminded me of all of the great people I met and friends I had that would have never been a part of my life without CF.

I loved my life with CF, because my mom loved our life with CF.

Frankly, if she would have shown me that she hated CF, I would have thought that she hated me, too. If she would of shouted "CF sucks", I would have heard "our life sucks".

I never once got that feeling from my mom. I haven't heard her speak a bad word about CF to this day.

She perfectly modeled everything she wanted to see in her son and for that I am forever grateful. Like Bryan's parents, she made sure that a life with CF was a life full of living.

The only reason I'm able to write this blog 34 years after I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis - with her granddaughter tucked safely in bed and my wife nestled up on the couch -  is because I had a mom who believed, from the bottom of her heart, that I would.

"I Lived" because of Christine. I love you mom.