Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Serious Shin Splints

6:00am: Ahhhhh, bright and early...Well, it was back to my 6am wake up time and boy did I feel it. I was so comfortable just curled up in my blankets and my head on the pillow. My legs were definitely feeling the workout I gave them yesterday and I'm pretty sure that my calves (or calfs?) currently have a spear head from and ancient Indian tribe stuck in them. The lower half of my body feels extremely heavy, but I must press on.

It was even more chilly this morning than it was yesterday. I prefer it to be chilly cause then by the end of my walk it does a good job of cooling me down. Today I really wanted to concentrate on establishing a good time for this morning loop on which I can improve upon. When I set off down the road today my legs were still pretty beat and my lungs were tighter than normal. Not exactly the best start. As the walk continued though, I was able to keep a good pace and I started to move a lot of junk out of my lungs. As usual, it started off a little dark, but the progressed to a clear. As I think back, I don't think I dry heaved once this morning. Uh oh, look out world, I'm making progress.

J Bell was the pee pee queen this morning. Last night when I brought her home from the groomers she drank her whole dog bowl full of water. They must have put her in a cage and made her eat sand or something, cause she was super thirsty. When I went to let her out last night to go to the bathroom, she wouldn't budge. She must have just been saving it for this morning, because she peed about 11 times. She's kind of funny too, in that she lifts up her hind leg like a male dog when she pees. She also marks poles and posts and what not just like a male. It must be from all of the times that she saw me do it.

Overall, the walk felt great this morning. I really need to get a run in today and will probably do it after Mandi and I go to the gym. I want to increase my mileage this week and I'm already behind the eight ball after the first day. I need to get my butt in gear and just make it happen.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 38'02"84

5:30pm: Man am I tired. I got to bed early last night and slept like a rock, but I still can't shake my tired eyes. I wanted for Mandi to get off of work because she wanted to go to the gym with me today. When we got to the gym it was super busy. That's the only bad part about waiting for her. The gym is packed with people just getting off of work. We had to wait for almost every lift we wanted to do and even changed some lifts based on availability. It all worked out in the end though and I got a really good work out in. The really nice thing about having Mandi there is she keeps the pace going. When I lift by myself, I usually take a 90 second break in between reps. With her it's a minute tops. I sweat a lot more when she's there because she keeps my heart rate up with her quick pace. It's also nice to have someone there to spot me in case I can't handle the last couple of reps. Fortunately, I didn't need any help today, but that's probably because I'm still lifting slightly more than an 8 year old boy. We lifted chest and back and I was able to increase my weight or reps on every exercise. I forgot, we also did abs. Mandi kicked my butt as usual. Current Weight: 191 lbs.

Side Note: Make sure on abs day you don't eat half of a bagel with peanut butter and jelly, a banana, and some Pirate's Booty, right before you head to the gym. I did and I felt it coming up while we were doing crunches. It also makes it tough because I can only crunch so far down on my bloated pregnant man belly.

7:00pm: We set out for our night run/walk but ended up only walking. My left foot is killing me and my right shin splint is acting up. Mandi noticed that I was walking with a limp and thinks that we should scale down on the mileage until I get proper shoes. I would hate to do that, but she may be right. I'm going to try different shoes tomorrow and see if it make a difference. I really hope it does cause I don't want to hit any bumps in the road yet. I've only been at this for two weeks and I really feel like my lungs are improving and that I'm getting stronger overall.

I pushed through the pain on tonights walk and we ended up taking a route that we never had before. It was dark outside, so we tried to stay on a path that was well lit. We succeeded for the most part and were able to walk a different part of the neighborhood that I had never been to. There were some pretty cool houses to look at along the way. The only problems with the new path was some traffic fumes and some driveways. Everytime we would cross a driveway, the slight decline and the slight incline would just kill my ailing parts. I had to walk on the flat street for most of the walk. I really wish I could have ran, but I have a feeling that Mandi would of had to carry me about half way through.

Total Distance: 3.0 miles Time: 49'38"

Total Distance Walked for Day: 5.1 miles