Sunday, March 22, 2009

Perseverance Produces Character

7:00am: Today it was a little tough to wake up. I was up later than usual hangin out with family and playing Wii with my brother. I kept on giving myself "1 more minute". I didn't sleep with o2 last night to give my nostrils a break and I woke up feeling pretty good, although I had a ton of crap in my lungs. My mom joined Mandi and I on our walk this morning. We decided to walk to Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and breakfast sandwiches. It was a shorter walk than normal, but we walked at a very good pace. Jezzabel had little opportunity to stop and smell the roses...or other dog's urine.

I coughed almost the whole way to DD bringing up stuff every time. It started out dark as usual and got clear by the time we sat down to eat. We sat outside in what was a perfect morning. There was a slight breeze, completely sunny and about 72 degrees. Couldn't ask for anything more. We weren't able to take our sweet time there though cause we had to scurry back home to get ready for church.

Total Distance: .7 miles

Side Note: Speaking of church, a great verse was shared that I think a lot of CFers can relate to, I know I can. It comes from the Book of Romans chapter 5 verse 3-4:

"...because we know that suffering produces perseverance and perseverance produces character..."

Now of course God is not speaking directly on CF and I am taking this verse out of context, but I hope you get my point. CF has helped mold me into the man I am today. I fully believe that I would be a different person without it, and probably not for the better. This is why I am constantly saying that I am blessed with CF. Many do not feel this way, and I can understand that, but I truly believe this to be the case. CF has made me more loving, caring, and appreciative of those around me. Without this disease I would take a lot more things for granted and not cherish every day. So do I really consider myself blessed? Without a doubt.

2:30pm: GO CATS!!!!!! It's always a great day when the Wildcats make it to the Sweet 16! After that great win, we decided to go and hike Sabino Canyon. By we, I mean Mandi, Andrew (bro), Grant (bro), and Momma. We packed up our snacks and filled up our camelbacks and we were on our way. Today, was a perfect day for hiking with the exception of a strong head wind at times. The skies were crystal blue without a cloud in the sky.

When I say hike, it was more like a trail walk...and the trail was a trolley road. You can choose to take a trolley to the end of the road, but they hit you up for 8 dollars. There was no way any of us were going to put down 8 bones for a car ride. It already cost us 5 bucks to park the minivan. So we set off down the road and were kind of winging as to how far we were going to go. We ended up stopping at a nice little watering hole at mile marker 3. It took us 1 hr and 2 mins to get there. There were a couple of brief stops, but it was only to allow the fam to catch up...and when we had to let a rattle snake cross the road. Most of the way to mile 3 was a steady incline with a few down hills and one kind of steep hill. My lungs and legs felt pretty good the whole time, but it was definitely nice to take a little 30 minute break at our destination. After goofing around in the water and on the rocks for a little bit, we headed back.

The way back was actually worse because we faced a strong head wind almost the whole way. There was also a steep, and I mean steep, hill towards the end of the hike that was very challenging. That was the only part of the hike that I absolutely had to stop and catch my breath when we got to the top. All in all it was a great afternoon and I'm looking forward to going back and hiking all the way to the end. The end is at 3.8 miles, but we didn't know that until we got back. I will be back Sabino Canyon, oh yes, I will be back.

Total Distance: 6.0 miles

Side Note: I'll be adding some pictures of our journey as soon as possible.

Total Distance Walk/Hike for Day: 6.7 miles