Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jezzabel the Dragon

6:00am: I didn't think that I would feel yesterday's workout and run so soon! When my alarm went off this morning, I thought that somebody had come into my room last night and tied sandbags around each leg. They must weigh more today than yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I weigh over 300 lbs. right now. Usually it takes a couple of days for the tiredness and soreness to kick in, but it wasted no time this morning. Is it possible that my body is playing an April Fool's joke on itself? I sure hope so.

I was actually more awake this morning than I have been the last couple of mornings. I have no idea why that is. I got to bed later than usual and it felt like I got a pretty good night's sleep as usual. I was up rather quickly and excited to get to my walk. There was somebody else in my life excited to get to the walk too. Any idea who that would be? If you guessed Jezzabel, you would be correct. She was laying in front of my closed door in the hallway and periodically it would sound as if a dragon was breathing fire into my room. She tends to get all huffy and puffy like a little child if things don't go her way at the exact moment she wants things done. I'm pretty sure I could have sat by the door and felt the air that was being blasted out of her nostrils.

Side Note: Speaking of nostrils, a new routine of mine is to pick my nose in the morning. I'm sure you were just dying to know that. But seriously, it's amazing what some o2 blowing in your nose all night can create. I pull out some honkers from my very own "booger mine" that would probably make the common man a bit jealous.

My legs loosened up very early on my walk. I was however coughing a lot more than normal, but only bringing up clear stuff. The only dark crap I brought up was from my very first cough when I got out of bed. I coughed to the point of a dry heave and I had tears running down my face. I wonder what fellow walkers are thinking when they see me in that state? If only I could get into their mind. Anyway, I had a couple of leash malfunctions on the walk, so my timer got all messed up. I think I was slower than yesterday though, so I'll make sure to step it up tomorrow.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: I screwed up again

11:00am: I headed off to the gym to do arms (with an apple in hand) and was excited about adding a lift to each muscle group. I added concentration curls to biceps, and a rope over the head cable extension thingy to triceps. Let me tell you, my arms could tell that they only had two days rest and not their traditional three. I was struggling at the gym today. I added weight to only one lift and reps to two others. There were lifts that were easy two days ago that I couldn't finish today. It was rough.

I muscled (pun intended) through it though and it ended up being a real good work out. I was sweating the whole time because I was only taking minute breaks in between sets. By the time I
got to my 4th lift on each muscle, I was pretty worn down. I did however have enough energy to do Mandi's ab routine which consists of 200 crunches in various positions. By the time it was all said and done, I couldn't wait to get back home and just relax on my vest. I have some errands to run and Mandi and I will do a run/walk when she gets off, so the relaxation won't last long. Boo Hoo. Current Weight: 188 lbs.

6:00pm: Since we ran so hard yesterday, Mandi and I took it easy on our walk tonight. We took a new route so we could enjoy looking at houses we had never seen before. We spent most of the time talking about medical insurance and how frustrating it all can be. It really seems that if you're disabled in this country, the government wants you to be poor. I won't even get in to the whole situation, but it feels like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd like to spread my wings a little bit, but our whole system makes it pretty tough to do.

Ok, enough of that. Our walk went really well and it was nice not racing against the clock. I did time it, but we weren't concerned with what the time was. We were just enjoying each others company and talking about what we would do to each house that we passed. We held hands the whole two miles. It was just what we needed.

Total Distance: 2.0 miles Time: 40'41"

Total Distance Walked for Day: 4.1 miles

2 people had something to say...:

Natalia Ritchie said...

I love you Ronnie!! Tell your girlfriend not to worry, I love ya in a 'I have CF and you have CF and I like your attitude' kinda way!! I think it's awesome what you're doing. You and Mandi walking hand in hand....that's awesome!! Keep at it buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somer Love said...

So cute holding hands the whole way...

I hear ya on the disability thing