Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Started a New Running Plan!

**I've been getting a lot of questions lately about how I started running and if there was any particular plan that I followed. Well, here it is, and I must say, it REALLY works! Just stick with it and I promise that you'll see great results :)**

So I was back to some running today and I must say, it felt better than I thought it would :) I was fortunate enough to be following the blog of my cysta Sara today after she posted a good running routine which should get my butt back into shape. I'm prone to listen to her since she ran in a half marathon only 35 weeks after her lung transplant! Plus, she is an amazing and awesome person with a super cool husband to match, so why not take her advice right? I started it tonight, but I plan on being on the 2nd week by Monday. And in the effort of full disclosure I did cough up a little bit of blood tonight on the run, but it was very little and mostly streaked, so I'm not worried. I did two sets of 7% pretty close together today so my lungs may be a little irritated, who knows. As long as there's not an increase in blood over the next couple of days, I should be fine.

So anyway, here is the running plan that she posted (courtesy of fitsugar.com):

MonTuesWedThursFridaySat. or Sun.
Week 1Walk 6 min., run 1 min.
Repeat 3 times (total 21 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 2Walk 5 min., run 2 min.
Repeat 4 times (total 28 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 3Walk 3 min., run 4 min.
Repeat 4 times (total 28 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 4Walk 2 min., run 5 min.
Repeat 4 times (total 28 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 5Walk 2 min., run 8 min.
Repeat 3 times (total 30 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 6Walk 2 min., run 9 min.
Repeat 3 times (total 33 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 7Walk 1 min., run 11 min.
Repeat 3 times (total 36 min.)
Repeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workoutRepeat Monday's workout
Week 8Walk 5 min., run 20 min., walk 5 min.
(total 30 min.)
Walk 5 min., run 23 min., walk 5 min.
(total 33 min.)
Walk 5 min., run 26 min., walk 5 min.
(total 36 min.)
Walk 5 min., run 30 min., walk 5 min.
(total 40 min.)

Once you're up to running 30 minutes straight, try to stick with this four times a week.

8 people had something to say...:

Anonymous said...

This is a great Chart! I might try it after my P90x. The idea of me ever running for 30 minutes is outrageous!!

Have you noticed all the CF blogs are about exercise??

Katey said...

I really like this plan...seriously considering following it! I may have to make a few adjustments on the amount of running (just because I haven't done it in over a year)..but i think it's great! Hmm...now I'm kind of excited about it! Thanks for posting this!!

Question: If I start this next week, then I'm gone for a week on my cruise, is it going to mess things up that when I get back from my cruise, I have to start all over? Or should i start this when i get back from cruise? What's your thought?

OceanDesert said...

AWESOME!!! You go, Fibro! :)

Unknown said...

Casey- I did notice that a lot of CF blogs are starting to be about exercise which is AWESOME. You know how I feel about it being such a vital role in our health.

Katey- I sent you an email...and yes, start ASAP!!!!

Sara- Thanks again for being the original poster of this running plan. I put a link to your blog so hopefuly people came buy, cause you ROCK!!!!

Ronnie

Denise said...

Plan looks good. The walk breaks really help get you building up the running distance/time.

Michelle said...

Great plan reminds me of the Couch to 5K running plan here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

StacyPlugs said...

i sometimes cough up blood after a run too...but i cough up a lot of plugs and think that maybe the plug coming loose could be the culprit! you keep on running. you're awesome!

Lydia Russell said...

Ronnie! Hope you have a suggestion! We've been stuck on "week 1" for almost a month now. We (my son and I) can't seem to run more than a minute at a time. It's almost "just to hard" to run for two minutes straight. I've been cutting down on the amount of walking we're doing. So, we're walking for 3 minutes, and running for 1 minute, and we repeat that about 5 times.

Any suggestions on how to run for a longer period of time?

BTW, Azer's been feeling really great as of late. We've even been running when they said they saw pneumonia on his X-ray.