Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) in Hospital

I took my PFTs yesterday for the first time while in-house. The last time I took them was right before I came in and I blew a 75/60 or so. Well, they could have gone better, but they could have also gone worse. They pretty much went neither. I blew a 71/60. I wasn't expecting much better so I'm not disappointed. With the coughing up of blood a couple of days ago and my inability to get my exercise on point, the fact that my lungs are a bit tight is not surprising to me. You can hear the tightness in my cough even (if you're so inclined to watch the video below). It's hard for me to take a big, deep breath in and it's tough to really blast it out- hence the lower than normal numbers. No worries around here though! This only motivates me to get out of this bed, put my running shoes on and get to work.

It's not the numbers of the tests that matter, it's how I respond to the numbers of that test.