Saturday, May 23, 2009

Feel Sick? Push Harder!

8:00am: Another great day of a couple extra hours of sleep. Granted, I woke up at 5:50am and then every 30 minutes until 8am, but it still felt good to rest up. I was up a little later than I'm used to last night and ended up falling asleep watching Sports Center. My brother was asleep on the couch next to me and Mandi was passed out in a chair next to him. Gotta love slumber parties! Mandi and I decided to take Jezzabel for a morning walk because there was a slight breeze and it was still somewhat cool out. It felt great to get up and at em this morning cause I did have some lung tightness and pain when I first woke up. Generally when I feel like that it just makes me want to push myself even harder. I probably feel that way because of some extra mucus in my lungs, so I figure if I really make myself work, I'll be able to get that extra crap up and out. With that in mind, we headed for the hills.

Now, these weren't crazy steep hills, but they definitely had a nice little incline to them. All in all we did a 2 mile walk, but I would say that at least .5 miles of it was up hill. It forced me to take deeper breaths while walking and it got my lungs opened up quickly. We tried to keep up a decent pace but J Bell was a detective this morning and decided to sniff everything in sight. I worked up a sweat though and got myself in a better position to do my treatments more effectively. I hate doing my treatments when it feels like I can't take big ol' deep breaths. I just feel like I'm short changing my lungs when that happens. Anytime I feel that way when I first wake up in the morning, I make sure to step it up in whatever exercise I am doing. Feeling sick doesn't discourage me, it motivates me to push harder.

Total Distance: 2.0 miles

1:00pm: Mandi and I headed to the gym after a morning of shopping with my brothers. We let them have a break and rest on the couch while the "adults" handled business in the gym. It was arm day, so as always, I was looking forward to it. Mandi and I barely took any breaks in between sets and were pushing each other the whole time. She wasn't sweating nearly as much as me, but she was really stepping it up in terms of finishing sets strong. She's gotten much stronger since we started working out and it's cool to watch her strength continue to increase. For example, the first time that we ever did diamond push-ups, she could only do about 5. Now, she is doing 4 sets of 10 with a slight spot on the last one of each set. Her arms are looking jacked and she constantly is threatening me with a flex of her bicep. It puts a smile on my face every time. Current Weight: 185.5 lbs

Total Distance for Day: 2.0 miles