Monday, May 18, 2009

Feeling Very Refreshed

5:45am: Woke up a little earlier than usual this morning to get the day started. My body and mind felt very rested from the weekend. Although I did not have a very strenuous weekend physically it was still very busy. It was basically the best of both worlds. Sometimes, when I overwork myself physically it can last with me for days and affect my performance moving forward. On the flip side, if I just lay around and doing nothing, I feel sluggish and can also feel the mucus building up. The key for me this weekend was resting from the gym, walks, runs and other physical activities, yet staying very busy and always moving. I was still able to get short walks in and went to the gym once, but I was also able to rest my feet by not pounding on the for too long. It was also a great mental break. I got to hang out with friends and catch up on everbody's story. That was much needed and a great escape from the daily grind that has become my life. Now, don't get me wrong, I love it and more importantly, I feel great, but I know that breaks are needed now and again. When I break it down, between doing treatments and exercising, I'm committed to at least 5 hours a day. That's over 30 hours a week! It's practically a full time job to just take care of myself. I'll tell you what though, the benefit is much greater than a paycheck.

I got up and went to the gym this morning to do a little bit of cardio. My lungs felt pretty clear first thing this morning and I didn't do a whole lot of coughing. I certainly coughed still, but instead of 8 times a minute, it was 4. I brought up small amounts of clear stuff, so that's always a good sign. I worked up a really good sweat doing 20 minutes of the stairstepper followed by 10 minutes on the elliptical. Like I said before, I didn't cough as much, and it was pretty easy to take in some deep breaths. I feel like my lungs aren't very junky right now. But, as most of you know, sometimes that feeling doesn't last very long. Hopefully though, by staying on top of exercise this week, that feeling can last for a while!

Total Distance: 1.0 mile Total Floors Climbed: 53 floors

3:00pm: It was off to the gym for some shoulders and legs. I'm still taking it easy on my shoulders because of the pain (and I probably will rehab them for a while) but I was able to step it up a little bit on my legs today. I didn't go all out, as they are still very tight and sore, but I pushed them a little harder than I have the last couple of leg workouts. I still did a lot of stretching on them, but I added some actual weight lifts as well. I did some squats and leg presses for the first time in a week. My legs feel fine and should be totally ready to go by the next leg day.

Total Distance for Day: 1.0 mile      Total Floors: 53 floors