Thursday, April 30, 2009

Don't Be a Comfortable CFer

6:00am: I had another good night of sleep last night, although it took me a little longer than usual to actually fall asleep. I think the reason for this was two-fold: I laid down yesterday on my bed from about 5:30pm to 5:45pm. I know it's not much, but I generally NEVER do that unless it's the weekend. And the second reason would be that I ate pizza last night and it felt like someone poured gasoline on my heart and lit it on fire (thanks a lot Tim and Gina). Oh, not to mention the spaghetti calzone that I also shoved down my pie hole. Tim, I know you read this, next time instead of gummy LifeSavers for dessert, I'm going to bring a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Just give me a heads up! I'm of course kidding and just grateful that I get to spend time with my cousin and be confused together by watching LOST...not to mention they feed me. What more could a guy ask for?

So besides waking up this morning with a bloated belly (which I have since taken care of...twice) and burping up the last bit of fire, I felt like a rock star. My lungs felt better this morning than they have for a while and I wasn't coughing up that nasty dark stuff like usual. It started out on the dark yellow side this morning and not dark green. Maybe my TOBI killed off some of the infection? Or maybe I'm not getting up the crap that's way down in there? I can tell you one thing: I'll work like the answer is the latter of the two. Everyday that I wake up, I'm committed to working out with the mentality that if I don't, it could be the last day that I feel good. I never want to be comfortable with how I feel or get complacent. Believe me, it's happened before and I won't let it happen again. The minute you let up on your treatments or exercise is the minute that you open the door to infection. CF is lurking in the shadows waiting for you to slip, and as soon as you do, boom, it seizes the opportunity. I for one always want to stay one step ahead of this disease, who knows, maybe one day I'll be two or three steps ahead.

The walk went well and my feet feel great. If this keeps up I'll for sure be able to run by Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 37'28"

5:30pm: Mandi and I headed for the gym after she got off of work. Today was legs and shoulders, which is generally a tough day. We ended up doing legs all at once using back to back to back exercises. We didn't lift calves because I think that calf raises are at least partly responsible for my foot pain. I seemed to have more foot pain the days that I would lift on my calves, so I have decided not to lift on them for over a week now. And because I had such terrible shoulder pain the last time I lifted my shoulders, I decided to do exercises today that would strengthen the ligaments and tendons that encapsulate the shoulder socket. I'm hoping that a month or so of doing these type of exercises will help with the pain. Current Weight: 185 lbs.

6:30pm: We took off for a short 1.1 mile walk right after we were done at the gym. Because of the lifts at the gym it felt like I was dragging around a couple of weights that were attached to my hips. Each leg felt like it was moving in slow motion. Our pace was pretty slow and at one point I turned to Mandi and said, "I literally can't get my legs to move any faster". Which she of course replied, "Step it up son!". Isn't she just a ray of sunshine? (I'm kidding Mandi darling, you are just what I need)

Total Distance: 1.1 miles Time: 22'37"

Total Distance Walked for Day: 3.2 miles

3 people had something to say...:

OceanDesert said...

Ha! Mandi is my kinda gal!

Kellee said...

Thank you! I some how knew you would be one of the ones to tell me exact =)

Wanna be my editor?!?!

=D

Mallory said...

I really love what you are doing. I need to start walking/running!! I think it would take me an hour to walk a mile! Whew I am out of shape!
Anyways thanks for your comment the other day I appreciate it!

Mal