Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Recovering from Vacation!

6:30am: I can't express to you how good it felt to wake up in my own bed this morning. I've been sleeping on a couch for the last four nights and it just doesn't compare to the cloud I sleep on at home. Don't get me wrong, the couch I sleep on in Rocky Point is more comfortable than any of the beds, but it's still a couch. I will be posting pictures soon from my trip so stay tuned for that.

Well, it was back to the grind this morning. I have definitely felt the difference in my lungs for the last couple of days while being in Mexico. It's not that I wasn't active, but it was just a completely different routine. We took plenty of long walks on the beach, played a lot of Frisbee golf, jogged around, and did some sea kayaking, but it just didn't clear me out like my routine at home does. There were also a couple of days that I only did three treatments instead of four so that could have made a difference as well. You should have seen the look on my little cousins' faces when I would slap on that vest, it was priceless. I offered to let them try it on multiple times, but they would politely say no and then run away! Can't blame them, I probably looked like I was going through some kind of Chinese Water Torture. I also have to give a shout out to my family for putting up with me starting my vest during breakfast almost every morning while people were gathered around the table eating and talking. It's not always easy to carry on a conversation while somebody sounds like they are jackhammering concrete right next to you. But after 29 years of this, they all take it in stride!

This morning I walked Jezzabel around the normal 2.1 loop. She was SO excited this morning for her walk that she could barely compose herself while I tied up my shoes. It was a slightly overcast morning so it wasn't quite as hot as it should be which I will always take on these summer mornings. The beginning of the walk was a little rough for me. I couldn't stop coughing and I was close to barfing about 17 separate times. I was slightly sick to my stomach and I ate dinner a little late last night, so I'm probably fortunate that I didn't toss my cookies. My legs felt very well rested but my feet did not feel great. I walked around Mexico with no shoes on for the last 5 days, and being flat footed, my feet did not appreciate that very much. I promise that I will go to the running store by this weekend and try to get everything figured out. Maybe some of my blogging cysters and fibros out there can hold me accountable on that one? All in all though it was great to get back into the routine and I'm excited to hit up the gym later today.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 37'34"

4:00pm: Instead of trying to figure out which day I left off on and which days I missed I decided just to start my lifting schedule over based on the day of the week. Today is Wednesday, therefore I had arms today. Mandi was excited to hear that since arms are her favorite day. She loves being able to flex her guns at me and ask "if I have a problem?". It makes me smirk every time. I must say though, if any 115 lbs girl could kick my butt, it would be Mandi. Anyways, I was looking forward to getting back in the gym and seeing how I felt after so many days off. To my surprise I felt very strong! I think the rest helped my muscles recover fully and I was able to maintain or increase my weight on every lift. Hopefully that carries over to my other muscle groups over the course of the next few days. One thing that also increased on my trip was my weight. There was an over abundance of food that I happily ate every free second that I had in Rocky Point. Someone in my family brought a bag full of Skittles and Starburst and I would be surprised if I didn't eat my weight in them. It all went to my gut, so I'm going to have to step it up on cardio the next couple of weeks to get my two-pack back :)
Current Weight: 187 lbs.

Total Distance for Day: 2.1 miles

6 people had something to say...:

Jason Addink said...

Those beds were awful. I would have gladly traded for the couch. Although, then you would have had to deal with a crying 1 year old at 5 AM every morning... ;)

Denise said...

That's cute about him running away from the vest. It's comforting that you can wear that and no one skips a beat. I haven't seen one before, maybe you should post a pic!

Jess said...

Welcome back!! Glad you had a nice trip. :)

CFsteph said...

Quick question. When you do your daily walk is it always outside or do you ever use the treadmill? Do you ever run or just briskly walk? If you are walking you should pat yourself on the back of doing 2.1 miles in 37 minutes. That's cranking along.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya - I always wish I could have a vacation day to recover from my vacation days! I've even tried to plan that in a couple times...

Had to laugh about Mandi's guns! I can absolutely see her doing that - awesome!

Jon V. said...

Couches weren't too bad, but I did have terrible nightmares about a Facebook addicted Uncle poking everyone!