Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Top Ten Reasons My Run Stunk Yesterday

Yesterday I decided to go for the last run of my 29th year. I haven't been nearly as consistent with running as I would like to be (I seem to be going on more long walks) and I knew that I would need to set a tone going into my 30th year! I wanted to tell my body who was boss, so instead of my usual warm up walk, I took off running only after about 2 minutes of walking. To challenge myself even further, I decided to do the first half of the run uphill (I'm not sure I really planned on making it to the top, but I knew it would be a nice reward on the way back down).

I spent almost the entire time up the hill trying to talk myself into stopping. I'm serious. On a handful of occasions I actually picked a landmark I would run to and then start walking from there, problem is, I actually never did stop. I guess it's not a problem per say, but it sure felt like it at the time.

I've created the "top ten problems with my run from yesterday" list. I assure you, (and if you've been reading RSR for any amount of time, you know this to be true) I did not create this list to complain. I created this list so all of you would know that you're not alone. I know that you guys attempting to run or exercise are having many of these same problems. I'm hoping that this list can provide some encouragement that you can in fact push through it and accomplish your goals!

Believe me, I wanted to give into my body. But after 2.6 miles of showing it who is boss, I feel AMAZING. I coughed up so much mucus that I won't be surprised if the city fines me to clean it up :) My lungs feel SO wide open and I'm taking deeper breaths today, than I did probably all of last week...just in time for my 30th birthday!

10. My left arch started to really hurt

9. My right ball of my foot was burning

8. I had a stitch in my side that wouldn't go away

7. I kept on burping up BBQ Chicken

6. My legs felt deader than a doorknob

5. I started to get a headache half way through the run

4. It felt like I was pulling for air...

3. ...and the air I was pulling in was really cold and made my lungs tighten up

2. It was really cold outside (so I put on a long sleeve shirt) but...

1. ...when I really got into my run it was too hot (but I couldn't take off said long sleeve shirt cause then it would be too cold)

Does this list look familiar? If it does, you're not alone. Working out is hard for EVERYONE. There isn't one person that I know who doesn't try to talk themselves out of running why they're doing it. Just keep pushing forward! I KNOW you can continue to push farther and farther as long as real effort is there :)