Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Does Being "Positive" Mean to You?

I had something else planned for today, but I couldn't pass up posting another cyster's blog because it is just that good. I won't post the entire thing, but I HIGHLY encourage you to click here and visit Piper's blog. It's raw. It's real. It's thought provoking.

What does "positivity" mean to you in the context of CF, or life in general?

I feel like "positive attitude," "positivity," and other words get thrown around a lot by really amazing and well-meaning people, but I'm not sure everyone's version of what it means to be "be positive" is really the same. I mean, I highly doubt many people see themselves as having a "negative attitude" for example -- they may see themselves as being "realistic" or even "honest," and in turn they may think that others are unduly cheerful or even "in denial." And I guess this all got me thinking, because is one person's positive thinking another person's denial? Or is my realism your negativity?

And even more vexing, is our "hope" or "positivity" threatened by stories that don't fit into our paradigm? Or is our sense of self and worth degraded when others do better than we have with the same disease?

Please click here to continue to read this fantastic blog post!

I plan to respond to this blog sooner rather than later, but I know that it's going to take me a while. I tend to either offend people or put my foot in my mouth when it comes to this topic. I will try to craft a well thought out and sincere response soon though as I feel that this is a very important topic.