Friday, January 14, 2011

Baby Batter Appointment

Today, I go to what I am calling "The Sperm Doctor" for an initial consult before a procedure called MESA or TESA (to be honest, I don't know which one. I guess I'll learn tomorrow). I'll obviously be able to divulge more information as I learn it tomorrow or you could just ask Mandi because I'm sure that she's paid more attention to all of the details being thrown at us over the past few months. As I understand it, they need to go into my testicle and retrieve sperm. Again, not getting the procedure done tomorrow, just the consult.

For those of you that don't know, about 95% of CF men are sterile. I fall within that 95%. It's not that we don't have sperm, it's just that it can't come out. Here's a very quick and simple explanation. The testicle makes sperm and semen. A tube carries semen from the testicle and a tube carries sperm from the testicle to meet up with the semen. I, along with many men with CF, never developed the tube that carries the sperm to meet up with the semen. It's called a congenital absence of the vas deferens (if you want to get all technical). Since I don't have the tube to carry out the baby makin' process naturally, they have to go in and get the sperm.

So, today we go in and talk about what the procedure looks like and when it will be done...at least that's what I was told :)