Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rondi's Reviews: 127 Hours

Last night we went to see 127 Hours - a movie based on one man's story of survival. Mandi is relatively easy to please when it comes to movies; while I like to pretend I'm Siskel and Ebert. Here are our thoughts on the movie....be sure to watch the trailer first!



Mandi's Review:

Before I give my review of the movie - I should preface this with the fact that I'm not a very strict movie critic. I tend to enjoy movies that keep my awake through them and keep me engaged. Those may seem like pretty low standards, but I fall asleep pretty quickly in movies. However, it doesn't take make for me to think it's decent.

As for this movie - I'd definitely recommend it to others, and I'd even go see it again. It's one of those movies that makes you question what you would do if you were in their shoes, and a movie that makes you (well maybe not YOU, but it definitely made ME) feel anxious most of the way through. I was so tense wondering how he was going to get out of the tight spot (pun intended) he was in. And while it seems like a movie filmed in one spot 90% of the time would be boring, it wasn't the case at all. James Franco (main character) did an incredible job throughout the whole film.

Best:
I love movies based on true stories. Something about movies based on reality makes me feel like it's possible that my own life, at some point, could also be extraordinary enough to be a movie. I know that seems really lame, and I think that may be the first time I've ever said (typed) that out loud. But it's true. There's something incredible about watching events that actually unfolded in someone else's life that I find intriguing and incredible. Especially when it's a story like this. A story that shows just how far one man would go to live. It makes me feel like I can, and should, be more extreme in my life.

Worst:
I still feel a little nervous, uneasy and sick. I love movies that get me emotionally invested in them...but when I'm tense for 2 hours straight, it takes me a little while to shake the feeling and remind myself that I'm feeling that way based on something that's not actually happening. However, this is a pro and a con - because at least the movie was good enough to make me feel emotionally invested.

Rating:
I'd give it a solid 4.5 stars.

Ronnie's Review:

Let me just cut to the chase, I certainly wouldn't name this "by far one of the best films of the year". With that said, if you're a fan of the inspired by true stories type of a guy or gal, then I would try to catch this one. The premise is pretty simple, guy goes hiking, guy falls, guy gets stuck, guy thinks he's going to die and then we watch him fight to live for 90 minutes. There's literally one actor with a bunch of extras. You get a sense of who the main character is through flashbacks and the first 10 minutes of the movie, but other than that, don't expect to get sucked in by Aron (James Franco). Not to say he didn't do a good job of acting, but I'm also not saying that this would be the toughest role to play (I'm a James Franco fan by the way). Just picture a thirsty man grunting and groaning a lot, got it? Good. You've now seen the movie.

Best part: The bloody scene. I won't say too much, but I can tell you that I thought Mandi was either going to pass out or throw up...I was smiling the entire time.

Worst Part: If you read any other reviews, or have read the book, you know how it ends. To be honest, about half way through, I was just hoping for him to get freed and get on with it, or die, either way, I was good.

Rating (Out of 5 stars): 2.5