Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday's Tidbits: 18% & Taxes

We just got back from doing our taxes, my brain is a bit fried so I won't be launching into any long and thoughtful blog today. There are a few things however I can rant about and also a few updates for ya.

Getting back to taxes, seriously, what is with those things? I won't turn this into some big political debate, but taxes are something that I don't think I'll ever fully endorse. It's not because of the money or because of the huge brain freeze that it gives me, it's because I just can't trust a system that not one single person on earth truly understands. We had the sweetest lady helping us out this year with our taxes and although she was very knowledgeable, there were still plenty of things she was a little unsure about. I mean take one look at the tax code and you'll see why there isn't anybody on this planet that can ever claim to be an “expert”.

My foot is getting better but I'm still not to the point that I trust myself to run on it. For those of you that don't know, I injured my foot last week during a long run in which I've never fully recovered. I've been trying to take it easy and stay off of it best that I can and avoid any exercises that pounds on my foot. I'm doing the exercise bike a lot and have managed to get a couple good walks him. I'm really hoping that it continues to get better because I haven't been able to run for over a week and it is starting to get annoying.

I can't think of many things that I've enjoyed hearing more than my little peanut's heartbeat. We're fortunate that we've been able to see his/her heart beating almost every week now, but we've never been able to actually hear it. Well yesterday we had our first belly ultrasound and I was able to listen in on the music that the little peanut is creating. I wish you guys could of seen my face (this will be impossible however because they don't allow videotaping), but I can assure you that I had a smile from ear-to-ear.

I've been keeping up with gardening so far and I've got to tell you every time I go in the Home Depot I never walk out empty-handed. I must have some type of spray for just about any problem that could ever present itself in my "luscious" garden. I don't read too often, but I even picked up a book solely about gardening in the deserts of the Southwest. It's called "Extreme Gardening" and so far I've been able to pick up a couple of tips that I've actually put into practice.

I really feel for Butler University. I mean I was really sad when U of A lost to Connecticut last week, but I took comfort in the fact that the Cats overachieved and were really playing with house money. I also gave up the excuse that we picked a bad night to have our worst shooting performance of the year. I'm now convinced that it wasn't us playing bad offense, but it was Connecticut playing solid defense. They absolutely smothered Butler tonight with their stingy defense and forced Butler to shoot a season-low 18% from the field (which by the way as I understand it is the second worst shooting performance in the history of the tournament). So congratulations Connecticut, you guys deserve it and I promise to get rid of my Jim Colhoun voodoo doll.

Well, that's all I've got tonight. Have to hop on a treatment and go nighty night!