Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Question from Reader: Family Support

What did your family or friends do to help you through your most difficult times with CF?

I think the most important thing my family and friends did to help me through my most difficult times of CF was to not only show me empathy (not sympathy), but more important than that, was to hold me accountable. We all know that we can do everything right and still become sick from CF. We also know that there are some of us who don't do everything right and become sick from CF. There were times in my life that I was that guy. What I loved about my friends and family is they would always remind me that I was not taking enough responsibility for my own health. They would always encourage me to do my treatments and to exercise so I could be the best possible version of myself.

Did your family ever stop you from participating in anything because of your CF? In what ways did they push you to do things to help you?

After that frank talk with my doctor when I was about 5 years old my family never stopped me from participating in anything. In fact, they did just the opposite. I played sports pretty much year-round from the age of about 6 years old and on. My mom and stepdad supported this by taking me to each and every practice and encouraging me to be my best. They were also very good at reminding me in a loving way that the only way to be the best possible version of myself on the playing field was to be the best possible version of myself in regards to my CF life.