Monday, January 2, 2012

Mckenna Monday: New Discoveries, New Year

Happy new year, everyone. I'm not sure what that means, but I keep hearing mommy and daddy saying that to everyone...and they yelled it the other night while I was in bed?

This last week has been a busy one for me. I feel like I've grown up a lot. This week's development? I FOUND MY HANDS. I mean, I knew I had hands. When I was in mom's belly I'd suck on them, they were my best friends. But then there was a time I could only find them by accident. Sometimes mom and dad would shove them in my mouth, but last week was the first time I could find them consistently, all by my own self. They are so fun to suck on. The only draw-back is that I've started drooling, so I leak like a running faucet, so I tend to get a bit wet, and drip all over whatever I'm laying on. Mom doesn't care though, she keeps saying, "it's ok, I'd rather the drool than the spit up!" As you can tell by her statement, I have a bit of spit up problem too. A burp rag is a permanent fixture on my mom and dad's shoulders. Sometimes they even drape it on or around my neck as my "spit up catcher" or "spit up collar" as they call it.

And now that I've found my hands, I LOVE touching things. I did keep my hands in fists, but now, much to mom's delight, I'll open my hands and touch things. Soft things are my favorite, but I'll give anything a feel once or twice. My new favorite game is playing with kitchen objects (don't worry, we keep the knives in the knife block...I just get to play with the safe ones). Mom and I pick out a bunch of fun kitchen gadgets and then we sit and talk about them, she rubs them on my cheeks and hands. We even sing songs about them (mom can't sing and I can tell she's making up the words as she goes along, but I don't let on...I just smile to humor her). So far a wisk is my favorite. I can really grab it with all the openings in the top...plus I like that mom tickles me with it by "stirring my belly" (as she says)...silly mom, you can't stir a belly!

My sleeping has been a bit crazy. I can't bare the thought of missing any action, so I only nap for 45 minutes to an hour most times (unless I'm held or really snuggly, then I can't bare the thought of missing out on snuggles, so I open my eyes for a second, but go right back to sleep). I was sleeping like a champ at night. But last week I would sleep a long 5-6 hour stretch and then wake up every hour, on the hour after that. On those nights I could swear mom wasn't as happy to see me each time I woke up. The last 3 nights I've gotten it together a little better. I sleep from 9 or 10 to 3-4:30ish and then I eat and go back to bed until morning. Mom seems to be happier with me on those nights. Although last night I couldn't fall back asleep after I ate, and mom finally just brought me to their bed to finish the night. I know she hates doing it, but I could tell she was just too tired. Sometimes they bring me to their bed, but normally it's in the morning just to snuggle me and smile at me after I wake up for the day. Hopefully, I can be more consistent, I know mom would really appreciate that.

Well that's all I've got for ya. This is going to be a big year for me; full of change. My new year's resolution is to learn to sit, roll over, crawl and MAYBE walk...if I decide to get crazy! What's yours?