Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Workout Wednesday: Strength Training


...for babies. Tummy time, tummy time and more tummy time. Tummy time is all the rage these days to build back, neck and core strength. This is the same strength that will help Mckenna roll over, sit, crawl and walk, so we try to do a lot of it. This may sound like an easy feat, but it was a bit of a chore because she used to HATE tummy time. She is now working her way into finding it tolerable for 5-10 minute spurts.

And it turns out, hard work pays off...even in baby land. Monday night, after a long day in the car driving back from CA, Mckenna rolled over for the first time!! And you know who saw her do it? No one. Ha! We were eating a quick dinner and Mckenna was playing with her favorite toy, Zoey the Zebra, while tolerating tummy time. Ronnie was watching TV sitting on the couch, and I was sitting on the floor next to her and turned to set my bowl down when out of the corner of my eye I saw a hand and leg in the air. She was already on her back by the time my brain told my eyes what they were seeing. "AHH AHHH she rolled over," I screamed like the proud momma I am. We both rushed to her and began cheering, smiling, rubbing her belly, you name it, we did it....I even got a little choked up (yeah I know, kinda pathetic). I'm sure she wondered what was going on, but man did she look proud. She had a big gummy smile from ear to ear. She knew whatever she did made mom and dad VERY proud.

That little one-hit wonder has yet to do it again for us though. She'll roll over if when we set her on her tummy we put her up on her hands. But she hasn't rolled over without a careful set-up by mom or dad. But that's ok. She'll be our little tumbler in no time...which is very exciting and scary at the same time. Rolling means she won't be where we left her all the time...rolling means it's the start of being mobile.

Zoey makes tummy time fun!