Monday, April 2, 2012

Your Body; A Machine

Do you ever have those things that someone says to you that really stick with you? They maybe said something that wasn't even meant to be impactful or it could have been said in passing, but for some reason it stick with you?

I had a soccer coach once, that was a huge jerk. He was just plain mean. But he said something once that has stuck with me for over 10 years, and I use it to fuel myself at least once a week while I'm working out. During a pre-season practice, we were running suicides. In typical high school girl fashion, many of us were complaining about how hot it was and how we couldn't go on. He looked at us and said, "Girls, your body is unlike any other machine. It will adapt to the stresses you put on it." And then I'm sure went on to chew us out and belittle us...he was a major jerk :)

But those few words have been etched into my being at this point. During a run, when I feel like my legs are jelly and I simply can't go any farther, I say to myself, "your body is unlike any other machine. It will adapt to the stresses you put on it." When I was in labor and getting ready to push, scared I said to myself, "your body is unlike any other machine. It will adapt to the stresses you put on it." When I'm running with Ronnie and he looks like he wants to die, I say to him, "your body is unlike any other machine. It will adapt to the stresses you put on it" (which I'm sure he just loves to hear when he's pulling for air).

I love everything about this quote and what it means. My body is a crazy awesome machine. Most machines were made to do a simple tasks or a series of tasks. Those machines, once made, can't add new skills, get better, change what they do. But my body can. My body was made to adapt to the stresses put on it. When I run an extra mile, my body makes changes so the next time that extra mile will be easier. When I lift heavier weights, my body builds more muscle to accommodate for that weight. Everyone's body is like this. Some people's bodies take longer to adapt or are slower to improve, but everyone's body was built to adapt to the stresses put on it...so everyone can improve! I love that. I love knowing I can push my body and it will adjust to make it easier for me.

Do you have a quote that you've heard that sticks with you over the years that inspires you? Pass it along, I need more fuel for my self talk during workouts!