Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Childcare with Cystic Fibrosis

Ran onto this old question and I thought I'd share...


I am in a serioius relationship, and am starting to think kids might be a possibility for me. I have a couple questions - are you the primary care giver? Do you have help? I don't know how I would be able to take care of myself and a child too. I just would like some insight.


Right now, I'm not the primary caregiver as my wife is on maternity leave. When she goes back to work, I'll be the primary caregiver on the days she's working. We won't have any consistent help, but we both have family in the area that would be more then willing if needed.

As for us, it's just one of those things that comes down to priority. My family is my priority. For me, this means taking care of them as well as myself. Everything outside of those two things just simply isn't as important. This may mean less time for myself, my friends, my hobbies, ect, but I knew that and was willing to make that sacrifice going into this. It's hard work, but it's doable and rewarding.

With that said, if you feel that having a family would put an undo strain on your health, then I think it's really something you should think about. It could be very unfair to a child to bring him or her into a situation where you know that one parent will always be there, but not there, because of their health. Our children not only need us there physically, but mentally as well. Just something to think about.

Thank you for this question. Hopefully I was able to shed some light on our situation as well as my thoughts on this subject.