Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I Didn't See This Coming

While I was cleaning up tonight while waiting for my coffee to brew (yes, I have a cup of coffee with a little tupperware container of dry cereal every night) something funny happened. I really, really missed Mckenna. Such a big part of me wanted to burst into her room, wake her up, take her out of her crib and just hang out with her. I've had similar feelings for the past couple of weeks, but they seem to just be getting stronger. I really miss my daughter when I'm not with her.

Now, many of you are probably thinking "what's the big deal? This doofus misses his kid", but for me, it is a big deal. I've been consistent with the fact that I'm not a baby guy. I like babies. I've always enjoyed playing with babies. I always gooed and gawed them at grocery stores, restaurants and friends' homes. But, I never thought that I would be a big baby guy with one of my own. Yeah, I'd be there for her and do absolutely anything for Mckenna or my wife, but the thought of a baby didn't really get me uber excited. I always found myself fast-forwarding to the "throw the ball in the backyard" stage.

**NOTE: I can see this post getting a little misconstrued, but please bear with me. I'm the most blessed guy in the world and Mckenna was an answer to my prayers. I've been absolutely smitten for the past 8 months and have been given yet another reason to wake up and kick booty every day...as if Mandi wasn't enough already. I'm hoping some of you dads or even moms kinda get what I'm trying to get at in this post**

Well, lately, I'm a baby guy. At least, a my baby girl kind of a guy. I don't know if it's her ever-developing personality or the fact that she makes me feel like I make her day, but whatever it is, she's got me. I find myself eager to fall asleep at night because that means I'm closer to being able to see her smiley face and bright blue eyes in the morning. I find myself waiting in bed like a little kid full of anticipation waiting for Mandi to bring her to me in the morning so we can have our traditional "tug on daddy's oxygen tubing" time. I actually look forward to just sitting with her in the playroom and watching her decide which toy she's going to play with. I never thought that I would fall this fast. I thought I could hold out until she was a bit older.

I have a confession: I've fallen for this little girl and I can't wait to spend every day showing her why God chose me to be her dad.

I never thought I'd be that guy, but then again, I've never had my own little girl before.