Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Did God Give Me Cystic Fibrosis?

Once in a while I get questions that really get me thinking. This was such a question. I'm no theologian or Bible scholar, but I have a deep love for God and believe in His deep love for me. I also don't think He makes mistakes. Most importantly, I don't think I need to know all of the answers. I only need to know one thing...God is in control and His eternal plan is a perfect one.

Question: 

I just finished having a really deep intense discussion with my 14 year old son (with CF) about God. Little by little he has started to share with me his doubts about God. After much probing by me I realized that some of his doubts are coming from the fact that he doesn't "get" how God who is suppose to be loving gave this disease to people. I answered his questions as best I could.  
You seem to have such a strong faith now; did you ever question if there was a God and how people could have this disease? If so how did your questions get answered?Any insight is appreciated!


That's a tough one. My perspective on this may be a little different though...
Problem is, I never once thought the CF was a terrible disease. I simply was raised to believe the opposite and my mom did a great job of always pointing out the opportunities that CF afforded me (I'm not saying that you're not doing that). She was always quick to point out the man that CF was molding me into. Quick to remind me of all the people I would have never met had it not been for this disease.
As far as my faith, I don't think God gave me CF. Sure, He allowed it to happen as He could have stopped it, but He didn't. I believe that CF is more of a tool used by God to shape my heavenly body than it is to destroy my earthly one.

He also promises to work ALL things for the good of those who love Him. It never says that everything that happens is good, but we serve a God that can take 100 bad things and shape them into something that brings Him ultimate glory. And that's what this life is all about for me. God shaping me into the man that will ultimately receive the joy of worshipping Him for eternity.
I don't get caught up too much in my suffering or the suffering of those around me. This life on earth is but a blink of an eye, and in the big picture, pretty "insignificant". I'm not living for the here and now, but the later and forever.
The one time I questioned God and His works was when my 16 year old cousin died in a roll-over car accident. It was sudden. We didn't have anytime to prepare. She was young, vibrant, beautiful and had a huge heart for the Lord. I wondered how in the world God could ever use that for His glory. I questioned why He would take someone who could end up doing so much for His Kingdom here on earth. I brought these and many other questions to my pastor.
What he said solidified my view on my own life. He said that each of us have a race to run. Some run it faster than others. Because some run faster, they will finish the race first (die). We're all running towards the same finish line, and as all of the other runners, the goal is to cross the line. Whether we finish first or last is of no consequence to God, it's that we finished and finished well. He watches how we are running. Once we cross that finish line we will be in His presence and get to hear the words that we all want to hear more than anything, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
When I took the focus off the death of my cousin and the sadness it created for me, I was able to see the joy it was bringing to her and to my Savior. He wants us in His presence more than anything else. The fact that my cousin got to see His face before me may be because she ran such a darn good race!! I may also never know why she was taken from this earth so soon, but I do have faith that God is true to His word and will work ALL things for the good of those who love Him and have been called according to HIS purpose.
So, why does God allow me to have CF? I don't know. I do however know that He doesn't make mistakes. I do know that He views me as a perfect creation formed in His image. And finally, I do know that one day, all will be revealed to me and will be more clear than it could ever be here on earth.
Like I said, this is a tough one, but hopefully something I said here will help you and your son.