Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Freedom & Access


It's thankful Thursday time! We all have so much to be thankful for and we love to take this opportunity just to write down each and everything that comes to mind. Please take this time to share with us what you're thankful for as well. If you have a blog expressing your thankfulness, please share the link! Without further ado, here's what we're thankful for:

Mandi's List:

I'm thankful for bread machines. After paying $6 for a loaf of bread that didn't have chemicals and additives, I decided I should just make my own. So I've been making my own lately, and holy moly, it's awesome. Not only do I get to eat awesome bread, but a couple times a week I know what it's like to feel like an elderly woman in the 1920s (because those are the only people that made bread, right?)
I'm thankful for a sick toddler. Ok, I'm not thankful that Mckenna is sick, but I am thankful for the remind to appreciate good health.

I'm thankful for freedom. With the exception of one month, I've been on an IVF medication protocol for almost a year. As bummed out as I am that our last cycle didn't work, it does feel glorious to be done with shots, pills, and lozenges for awhile. I'm especially thrilled to be done with my progesterone shots because according to my nurse I have an insane amount of scar tissue from all the rounds that "must make these shots really painful".

I'm thankful for tea parties. Mckenna loves having tea parties lately and it melts my heart to watch her as she pours us both tea (water) and says, "cheers". It's also great for a laugh to watch her try to put a pinky out while she laughs!

Ronnie's List:

I'm thankful for access. I'm not talking about access to healthcare or internet access, I'm just talking about access to stores. It's amazing that we have the ability to get into our car, drive a mile or two, and be surrounded by stores that have the things that we need...and maybe more accurately, want. I needed a new file case this morning when my old one broke; A 5 minute drive later and I had one in hand. Amazing!

I'm thankful for the health to battle through sickness. I had clinic on Monday and of course did PFTs. I wasn't sure how they'd be since I had been battling back whatever Mckenna had for a good five days. I definitely wasn't sick like her, but I did have earaches, increased cough, increased sputum, etc. In June of this year I blew a 75%. On Monday, it was a 73%. I'll take it!!

I'm thankful for collaboration. One of the knocks I hear about people/organizations in the CF community is that there isn't enough collaboration. While this is true for some people and some organizations, this is certainly not true for me or CysticLife. I've been working for quite a while on something with some folks in the community that we're going to launch real soon, and I can't tell you how excited we are to see the response.

What about you? What are you thankful for today?