Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Lungs REALLY Opened Up!!!!

6:00am: I don't know why, but the Good Sleep fairy has now visited 3 nights in a row! It feels sooooo good to get a full night's sleep. Just for a little sleep history on me: I've never been able to get to bed before midnight, I would stay awake in my bed for AT LEAST 30 minutes, and then I would wake up about 10 times during the night....oh, and I would generally sleep in till about 9am or 10am. Now fast forward to today: I'm in bed by 10pm, I fall asleep within 5 minutes, I wake up maybe 3 times, and sleeping in would be 7am or 8am but I'm usually up by 6am. You might be asking yourself, "Why such a drastic change?". Answer: I have no clue. Here would be my best guesses though...I'm an "old" man. I'm working out harder than I have for years. I'm wearing oxygen at night. I wake up so early and never slow down during the day. The Sleep Fairy finally remembered my address. That's all I got. Your guess is as good as mine.

The walk went really well this morning. Kind of same ol same ol as far as the mucus goes. I did have a coughing spree about half way through my walk that caused me to dry heave, but I recovered pretty quickly. My foot felt great the whole walk. And lastly, Jezzabel is on a new kick where she poops 3 times now every walk. I don't know if you've noticed, but that's one reason my times have been slower. She literally craps 3 times before 7am. That's better than her daddy, and quite honestly, I'm a bit jealous.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 38'19"

5:00pm: Today was leg and shoulder day with Mandi in tow, so I was really looking forward to her kicking my butt! She did not disappoint. We continued to just rehab my shoulder, but when it came to legs, we really beat them up. We ended up doing a circuit of sorts for our legs and shoulders that I really enjoyed. While she was lifting her legs, I would be doing my shoulders. After we were done with one set, we would switch. This kept us in constant motion and we both worked up a huge sweat. I was doing some very deep breathing so it was good for my lungs as well. One thing to keep in mind about weight training is that it can also be a great way to exercise your lungs. The key to it is simple: KEEP MOVING. Do your best to never stop.

The butt kicking certainly did not stop with the legs and shoulders though. Mandi then took me through a ab routine that had me begging for mercy. I'm serious. I think at one point I actually asked her if we could stop. And if you know Mandi, you already know her answer. NO!!!!! It got to the point where I could barely support my own weight with my abs and it felt like I was working them out just by walking. We were doing all kinds of crazy things to our stomachs. Medicine balls, kick flips, twists and turns, you name it, we did it. I was absolutely beat when it was all said and done.

After going into the locker room to freshen up and weigh myself, we were walking out the door when it suddenly happened. I had the urge to do MORE. I don't know why, but I didn't want the great workout to end. We jumped on the elliptical and did a quick 15 minutes on them to finish off the day. I was drenched in sweat from head to two and my lungs haven't felt as open as they did today for a very long time. I just kept pushing it and pushing it and it really paid off. I am absolutely exhausted, but I feel GREAT. Current Weight: 184 lbs.

Total Distance: 1.5 miles

Total Distance Walked for Day: 3.6 miles

4 people had something to say...:

OceanDesert said...

Thanks SO much for the shoulder routine! I'm def. going to try it.. hmmm... maybe before and after pics? ha!

I'm so glad you are able and wanting to work your bod this much.. it's amazing how you push yourself!..

ps.... Can I hire Mandi? :)

Natalia Ritchie said...

That feeling is so good isn't it?! When you work out, and feel like your lungs are so open...I used to work out like that for hours...doing a spinning class and then weights, and after I felt like I could do anything.

That's awesome Ronnie, keep it up!!

Lil' Chris' Mom said...

Glad you got some sleep!

Thanks for your comments on my blog. About the enzymes getting wet, I guess I didn't really explain it too well;) I couldn't reuse them, b/c they would have had to sit all wet for an hour or so, before I could get him to eat anything. They were already starting to dissolve. Our clinic always told us when we used to sprinkle them on applesauce to not let them sit in the applesauce too long. They say to prepare it right before he eats. So that kinda always stuck in my head;-)

Great job on your blog, btw!! I do similar posts on my other blog... www.thechallengediet.blogspot.com. It's a lot of fun!

Make sure you check out www.acure4lilchris.com today! I posted the final cut of our CF commercial. I'm with you, I liked the coffee stirrer analogy too, but we couldn't fit it in the editing. Maybe I'll use if for something else;)
Look forward to hearing what you think,
M

Unknown said...

Sara:

Believe me, you wouldn't have to hire Mandi! She'd work with you free of charge. If your interested I'm sure we could work something out.

Ronnie