Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Treatment BEFORE Treatments

6:00am: Two good night's of sleep in a row! The only problem I had this morning was a burning nose for the oxygen. I woke up at around 5:30 and took out the nasal cannulas for my last half hour of sleep. I had some very productive coughs this morning, but it was pretty much the same ol' story. A bunch of darker sticky crap for my first cough or two, but then it was clear from then on out. My mucus is actually becoming more and more clear the last couple of days. Well, let me rephrase that cause I guess clear is clear is clear. My mucus becomes clear earlier in the morning and stays clear throughout the day. There, that's better. My lungs have also felt open right when I wake up, which is generally how a measure how I'm feeling and how my lung function is doing. I'm able to take a really deep breath first thing in the morning which feels really good. So far so good. Let's hope this hot streak continues.

I recently was asked whether I do my treatments before or after my morning walk. The answer is AFTER my morning walk, and here is why. My walk makes me cough a lot more than my treatments do. I cough for probably the first 10 minutes of my walk and I'm clearing stuff (and trying not to throw up) the whole time. I look at it as a treatment before my treatment. By the time I get to my nebulizer and vest, I feel open and ready to deep breathe all of the medicine in. I realize that it's different strokes for different strokes, but I just wanted to share with you why I do what I do.

Total Distance: 2.1 miles Time: 38'20"

1:00pm: Today we arm day and I was really looking forward to my second arm day of the new routine. Luckily, the 2nd day went just as well as the first day if not better. I absolutely killed my arms and could barely lift them even a couple hours after my workout. Nothing else fancy to report...oh, except that I can do 10 diamond push-ups in a row. I couldn't do 5 regular push-ups when all of this started a couple of months ago! So we're making progress. Current Weight: 184 lbs.

Side Note: Tonight I went and saw the new Wolverine movie. First, as a disclaimer, I happen to like all of the X-Men movies that have come out even though the genre isn't my cup of tea. The Wolverine movie was no exception and in my opinion the best of the series so far. Great action without a whole lot of language or sex crap. Well done gentlemen...or ladies.

Total Distance Walked for Day: 2.1 miles

2 people had something to say...:

OceanDesert said...

Thanks for answering my question :) Makes total sense.

BTW, what is a diamond push-up? We do what I suppose are 'regular' push ups in my classes at the gym for 1 min straight... I can do about 15 (but on my knees), then need a break, start back up, etc. I find that the knee version puts less pressure on the chest, where it's still somewhat sensitive from the tx...

Also, are you walking OUTSIDE on these bad air quality days we're having lately?

Unknown said...

I'll be honest with you, I had no idea we were having bad quality air days. Two weeks ago I received a heads up from Mandi's brother about a certain bad day, but haven't heard anything since. So yes, I do still walk outside.

Diamond push-ups work your arms more than your chest. To do one, form a diamond using your pointer fingers and thumbs on each hand. I actually make more of a triangle. You don't go all the way down like a normal push-up and it doesn't put as much stress on your chest. It's almost all tricep and forearm. Try it and let me know what you think.

Ronnie