Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spotlight Sunday- Public Service Announcement

Today I wanted to highlight one of the more entertaining and well written Cystic Fibrosis blogs out there. The title of the blog is A Matter of Life and Breath and was created by a spunky, smart and hip NYC lawyer named Piper, who just happens to have CF. The way she writes will draw you in right away and keep you coming back for more. This particular post that I'm highlighting was called "Public Service Announcement" and was Piper's way of letting off a little steam during the Swine Flu epidemic. Many of us CFers have the same problem, we cough (A LOT) in public. When there is an epidemic such as H1N1 virus going around, you would never believe all of the stares that we get. I've had MULTIPLE times that people at the gym would move away from me to "get away from the sick guy". I encourage you to go by Piper's blog and check out a bunch of her posts- it will keep you entertained for quite a while. With out further ado:

Public Service Announcement

Good news New York: I don't have swine flu!

That's right, there are, in fact, people who cough in daily life who are not currently infected with some deadly farm animal virus. I know that's hard to believe right now, but please take a moment to pause from your hysteria and realize that among all you "normal" people lives a whole slew of "coughers" - from asthmatics to CFers to, I dunno, people who just swallowed some milk wrong or something.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not offended when you jump in fright at my well-covered and (relatively) discreet public coughing fits. (The "relatively" there is b/c BELIEVE ME, if I was willing to really let them out these coughing sprees would seriously rock your world.) I'm not at all surprised or insulted when you just happen to feel the urge to switch checkout lines at Whole Foods or subway cars on the 2 train right after I give you a glimpse of my cysticness. I don't even particularly mind when you warn your child, rather loudly in my opinion, not to pet my dog because "the lady is sick and her doggy might have ugly germs." (That's right: "ugly germs." I assume this does not refer to germs that might actually make someone ugly, but then again what do I know?)

Nope, I get all that. As so many of you seem to have noticed, I myself am a "sick" person. And as a sick person, I get the urge to protect oneself and one's family from nasty pig bugs (or even "ugly" bugs, for that matter). In fact, if I hear YOU coughing, I'm also likely to try and put a little distance between us. The difference being that I'll most likely go out of my way to be discreet and polite about it, but then again maybe that's only because glaring at strangers doesn't seem to be a natural part of my personality.

But again, just to put your mind at ease, and in case you didn't hear me the first time: I DO NOT HAVE SWINE FLU. Or even human flu. And if I did I would know it, because I spend more time in the doctor's office in about a month than you probably do in an entire year. And if I for some reason did start running symptoms of the flu, I would stay home. Not just now, when the dreaded porker prognosis is sweeping the nation, but everyday. It's just how I was raised.

So rest assured. True, the cause of my cough is about a million times more fatal than swine flu and receives far less national attention, but you can't catch it. And that's all that really matters, right?

So do you guys know what she's talking about? Have any experience with this? Let me hear your "death stare" stories...

...and go give Piper some love!

8 people had something to say...:

Katelyn said...

Working at the hospital I get a ton of stares, especially if a coughing fit happens while I'm with a patient. The cancer patients I work with seem somewhat... apprehensive, but I cough into my elbow so they won't get my germs, even though my germs wouldn't do a dang thing to them.

I always thought we should be more caring to people who were sick, not more paranoid.

Lovin Lane said...

I just wanted to say great spotlight pick, I love reading her blogs...

Kellee said...

Dude I love P's blog!
I found her a few months back and I always look forward to her new post..She has 1 of those special quick witted one line funny suck you in knida writing styles and I LOVE it!

Thanks for sharing!

Gino said...

I'll always remember this self rightious woman sitting next to me at McDonalds with her perfect children, serviettes tucked into their shirts. She gave me the death stare for a good 5 minutes as I added more salt to my daughters already salty fries and burger. She finally couldn't take it anymore and commented "that's really too much salt for a child". I had a quick chuckle to myself before I became annoyed and told her "My daughter has CF, do you know what that is?". After a priceless look crossed her face, "no" was her answer. I replied "Hmm, that's funny I would have thought a woman like you knew everything"....her little boy laughed...she was not amused.

Jess said...

I love reading her blog! It's ironic to read this entry again because I supposedly have the swine flu right now.

Lucy's mom said...

Thanks for introducing some of us to Piper! I will be following and enjoying her snarky CF blog! I LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Love this blog! Great spotlight!

Piper said...

Rommie, I'm truly flattered. Thanks SO much for this shout out! It means so much coming as it does from one of my personal fave CF blogs!

Keep on rocking our worlds, sickboy (and Mandi) -- LOVE the new "mix it up" format!