Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Made a Turn During a Hiking Blog

Yesterday I did something that I haven't done for quite a long time. Hiking. In fact, I haven't been on a hike since Mandi and I got engaged. We actually hiked the same trail yesterday, but didn't quite make it to the top. It was a very leisurely hike, but still challenged me quite a bit. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. I had just gotten into a nice groove with work, when Mandi came into the office and said, "Get your shoes on, we're going for a hike!". Uh, ok.

I don't know what I would do without that girl. Well, besides work more but work out less :) She does her best to keep me from working 10 hour days 7 days a week and for that, I am grateful. The problem is, once I get rolling and focused, it's hard for me to snap out of it. Mandi has figured out a good way to work through that, it's called "leaving me with no other choice by using my own words against me". She will literally quote to me things she has heard me say to other people to motivate them or to get the message of exercise and lung function out there. I mean, I can't really argue with that. And let me tell you, I love her for it.

During yesterday's hike, Mandi continued to push me all the way to the end. She's a great coach. She's a great motivator. She's a great fiancee. I've really found something special in her. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be where I'm at today without her and she's the motivating factor for me to get to where I want to be.

It's funny, this blog was going to be a blog about switching up your exercise routine to keep your body guessing. Hiking is a great way to switch it up. Somewhere in paragraph two I made a turn and never recovered. Oh well, I'll just have to cover that topic another day!