Monday, June 28, 2010

New Insurance...In an Old Kind of Way

Mandi started a new job last week and with that came new insurance. I've been on COBRA since we got married but have yet to make a claim on it. They may come after me for some meds that were tabbed to my old insurance, but that's only because we got 17 different answers to just one question. The questions was simple in nature, but seemed impossible to answer by anyone that we spoke to. The question was this: "When does my coverage end?". That's simple enough right? We were told 60 days, 45 days, 30 days, 14 days, immediately, whenever the paperwork is filled, whenever the paperwork gets processed, etc. Finally (we think) the answer is that my insurance ceased the day we got married. Again, we're not sure, but then again, it sounds like the powers that be aren't either. We got COBRA just to be safe and we didn't want to have a lapse in my coverage.

The great thing about Mandi's new job is that I'll have the same exact insurance that I had under my mom. I'm hoping that will limit the number of battles that I have to fight with them as they "know me". But, as we all know, insurance companies rarely pay without a fight. It will be very interesting heading into today as I have a CF appointment plus I have meds to fill. It's always a little nerve wracking when switching policies and today will be no different. I hope that it's a smooth transition though and I won't have to spend hours upon hours on the phone with these guys.

I guess the first order of business is figuring out what my new policy number is :)